Broth

Charlene Straus
on 8/4/13 10:58 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Ok, this may seem like a silly question to some, but none-the-less, it is still a question. Is one type of broth better than the other? Is store bought better than homemade or vise versa? Boxed and canned over oxy cubes / powder? I start my opti in a couple of weeks and will be on it for 4 weeks. I'm sure the broth is going to be what keeps me from going over the edge.

Monica9811
on 8/4/13 11:00 pm - Peterborough, Canada

If you are going to buy store bought broth-look for the low sodium or no sodium versions-way better for you.  I only had broth in the hospital-never had it during opti-most times I did the shakes but if I needed something to chew on I had some celery and cucumbers,  I didn't realize how good the broth tasted until I had it in the hospital.  Good luck!  It won't be long now!

Charlene Straus
on 8/4/13 11:09 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I was reviewing my paperwork, yet again, and saw no where that we (TWH) can have fresh vegies with our opti. I will check again, tonight. I figure, at least with the addition of the broth I can add seasonings and jazz it up a bit, if I get bored.

Monica9811
on 8/4/13 11:13 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Oh i was with HRRH-every centre is different which doesn't make sense to me at all.  Enjoy the broth-especially the first 4-5 days you will feel the hunger, after that it pretty much subsides and you will be lucky if you get all 4 shakes in in a day!

Fabulous_by_Fifty
on 8/4/13 11:16 pm - Canada

I start my Opti tomorrow.  Does anyone know why each center is different.  TWH does not allow veggies?  Seems like that would so help getting the edge off.  We are all going for the same surgery but makes no sense why they are different.

2mar
on 8/5/13 12:17 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I made my own ( I always do) because of the quality. (just personal preference). No salt - no other stuff that I prefer not to eat. 

I make a whole pot and then freeze it. 

Post op I did freeze it in ice cube trays (= 2 table spoons per cube)

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Charlene Straus
on 8/5/13 1:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

Any TWH Alumni available for comment? If I remember, correctly, all we are allowed to have, with Opti, is SF popsicles, SF Jello, broth, water, black coffee, tea and herbal tea.

DanaStClair
on 8/5/13 1:52 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hi there... I am with TWH - 3 week opti (currently on day 12)

You got everything right on that list there (except you are also allowed diet pop) ! Honestly, its not that bad. It seems like it would be sooo hard to go 3 - 4 weeks with just opti and the few other liquids, but its really not.

I bought SF syrups (Hazelnut, Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Pie) from Starbucks and online vendors to use in my shakes. I bought Mio, Crystal Light, Dasani Drops and Walmart Brand drink enhancers for my water and homemade SF popsicles. I also add the mango-peach MIO to SF cherry Jell-O to enhance and change up the flavour. Ii bought a 6 pack of low sodium organic chicken broth from Costco.

I gave up pop and caffeine Jan 1st, so I abstain from the diet pop, coffee and tea. And here is what a typical OPTI day looks like for me:

7 am - 500 ml water w/ few drops of water enhancer

8 am - 350 ml water + Opti pkg + 5 pumps SF syrup, shaken and poured over or blended with ice

10 am - 1/2 C sugar free jello

12pm - 350 ml water + Opti pkg + 5 pumps SF syrup, shaken and poured over or blended with ice (also water to drink) 

2pm - 1/2 C sugar free jello + water to drink

4pm - 350 ml water + Opti pkg + 5 pumps SF syrup, shaken and poured over or blended with ice

6pm - 250 ml organic low sodium chicken broth (less than 10k/cal per serving) (water to drink)

8pm - 350 ml water + Opti pkg + 5 pumps SF syrup, shaken and poured over or blended with ice

Now, I don't always get that fourth shake in the way I should. But I have been trying, sometimes I am just not hungry by 8pm. I also had a few days where I ran out of Jell-o and couldn't find the SF variety, so I had no snacks while at work. But, overall I have been following the plan, and I have lost 12 pounds in 12 days.

Let me know if you have any other questions, a best of luck on your journey!

Dana

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

DanaStClair
on 8/5/13 1:55 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

I forgot to add that sometimes, instead of the broth or my 4th shake, I have a few of the SF homemade popsicles. I like them beause I use the MIO lemonade, Mio Strawberry Watermelon, 1 squirt each in the popsicle trays I bought at the dollar store. I fill them up with water, and pop in the freezer for a few hours. No calories, and they give me a bit of a sour hit which is different from all the sweet tasting opti. And it helps when you need to chew something if you can tolerate chomping on ice!

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

Charlene Straus
on 8/5/13 3:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thanks Dana and all,

I'm getting quite excited. Being on the Opti doesn't sound quite so bad now that I'm reading how you do it, Dana! My daughters have a coffee supply place, near their homes. One of them picked up 6 different bottles of SF syrups, for me, so it should be quite interesting, flavor wise. I'm so glad for all of the 'experience' on this site. I think I'll be tapping into it, quite a bit, over the next several months!

Most Active
Recent Topics