Kinda bummed

Brats1979
on 8/7/13 8:27 pm
I had my appointment with the surgeon and I asked about which surgery I would be getting. ( I have weird intestines) he tells me they will decide once they get in there. I just feel very uneasy about not knowing what will be happening to me...grrrr
mispysmom
on 8/7/13 8:48 pm - elliot lake, Canada
I.was.told the same by my doc...due to genetic intestional cancer running rampid in my fam...but.when i.got.my.date.the nurse who.called told me i.was getting an rny...apparently 90% of surgeries in ontario r rny.....good luck!!

Amanda

mona8
on 8/7/13 9:57 pm - Kingston, Canada
I had the same info going into surgery ( due to many other abdominal surgeries I've had and concerns re" scar tissue ). The first question I asked when I woke up was " rnv or sleeve? ". They were able to do RNY

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

meighanfish
on 8/7/13 10:51 pm

They were unsure about me too due to a hernia by my bellybutton.  I think they do RNY if they can and the sleeve if not.  I had RNY as the hernia was not as bad as expected.  I just prepared myself for both - not much different in what you do afterwards.  I looked at it as either way I was going to be able to lose weight which is the ultimate goal.

kellybelly333
on 8/7/13 10:57 pm - Toronto, Canada

Very common. You will have to sign that you will have either or. I had to as well, because I had an open appendectomy 20 years ago, and they can't tell what your scar tissue will be like until they get in there. I woke up with RNY. I also had to recently sign that I might have an open gall bladder surgery...because I had RNY....but I woke up with it done lap. It's just a legal thing, but they are doing what is best for your body. Research both surgeries and prepare yourself that way.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Brats1979
on 8/7/13 11:57 pm
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a smidgin better about it.
Most Active
Recent Topics