How are surgeries booked in Ottawa?

jen1016
on 8/7/13 10:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I have my surgeon's appointment next week with the new doctor, Dr. Neville.  A few people I know, through an Ottawa group, received their calls at the end of July for surgery dates in September.  I am just curious how are dates picked? 

Has anyone had Dr. Neville yet here in Ottawa, and if so, how long was it for you from your appt with her until your date?  

Getting one step closer :)!!!

Jen

meighanfish
on 8/7/13 10:47 pm

You get a call from the person in charge of booking surgeries.  I had my apt the end of May with the surgeon and waited a couple weeks.  I then called myself as I was in a unique situation.  I wanted to let her know that I was off of work for July and August so I would appreciate surgery then as I would not need to worry about getting time off work and the fall would have been too hard for me as that is the start of school.  Luckily I was give July 12th which provides me with 7 weeks between surgery and work.  I found they were very good about talking to me.  Give it a couple weeks and then you can always check in.  Good luck with everything!

nmcgreen
on 8/8/13 12:07 am - Canada

I meet with Dr. Neville. She seemed really nice to me. I saw her July 16th. They called the next week for surgery at the end of August, so 6 weeks later. She answered all my questions easily and seemed very positive.

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

jen1016
on 8/8/13 12:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I did meet her as well - she did my scope on July 17th, so that's good to know then!  It's just nice to get a possible idea as to when my surgery may be.  What day of the week is your surgery on? I have heard the each have their own day!

nmcgreen
on 8/8/13 12:30 am - Canada

Thursday, August 22nd. I'm getting excited!

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

jen1016
on 8/8/13 12:37 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I can imagine :)!!  How are you finding Optifast?

Catw
on 8/8/13 1:15 am - Arnprior, Canada

Unless they have changed, the surgeons get together the first week of the month, to set the schedule for the next month.  If there is space at the end of the current month, they will put you in there, that gives you just enough time on Optifast.

Good luck!

Cathy

Elektra_Kat
on 8/8/13 1:38 am
RNY on 06/26/13

I had initially heard they call a couple days after you meet the surgeon, but then more people said that they call within a couple of weeks. I waited 2 weeks and  then called and was given a date about 4 weeks in advance.

I had a positive experience at the Civic, for what it's worth. No complaints. :-)

jen1016
on 8/8/13 1:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I have heard so many different things too!  Some of have said they got their call within the same week and someone I know waited for over a month!!  I guess there is really no rhyme or reason then when the calls get made! 

Thus far, I haven't had any issues either with the Civic ... I had my education class yesterday and found it somewhat informative, but with being on this board and in a face book group for Ottawa - I feel I am well prepared - talking to other people who have gone before me :)!

Elektra_Kat
on 8/8/13 1:57 am, edited 8/8/13 1:57 am
RNY on 06/26/13

This is what I did: I waited 2 weeks as per all the suggestions I got, and then called. I apologized immediately because I assume Lana (I think that's her name) must field about 75 calls about surgery every day from excited pre-ops. I like to think that helped in her being really friendly and not at all annoyed with my calling.  And actually, she gave me a choice of two days and I got to pick.

Edited to add that as long as your consent is signed, there shouldn't be a problem with booking.

Most Active
Recent Topics