Oh hey I'm a little early for my appointment...

Katie M.
on 9/2/13 11:17 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
I had the worst week of my life last week - my dad had a heart attack. Luckily he is ok, as ok as a heart attack patient can be, but it was scary days for awhile and all I could do was circles around my mom trying to take care of things like phone calls and tending to their horses and dogs, taking over my dad's office (returning calls, getting payroll out)
I did really well stress eating-wise though, no binges and I stuck to my guidelines of no pop, no crazy fats or sugars even in small quantities. So I think I did well. And so I was all ready for my psychologist appointment today (last one before the surgeon, yay!) and I thought it was at 9am. So I left two hours early, well prepared for the gridlock that was the 401/427/Gardiner, made it in time, went upstairs to check in... My appointment is at 11. Tomorrow.
Ugggh.

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Dreamalittledream
on 9/2/13 11:31 pm - Canada
Noooooo.....I feel your pain! No way they could fit you in, huh? Poor you! Glad you're Dad's going to be okay

Ottawa ~Referral Mar 2011~Orientation Aug 2011~Meet w Nurse May 14, 2012~Dietician/Behav/Abdo Ultrasound July 5, 2012~Colonoscopy Aug 8, 2012~Dietician#2 Aug 30, 2012~Endoscopy Nov 9, 2012~Pre-op class Jan 2, 2013~ Meet w Surgeon Jan 8, 2013 ~Start Optifast Feb 15, 2013 ~Pre-Admit. Mar 6, 2013 ~SURGERY March 8, 2013 (RNY/ Dr.  Raiche)~Post-op Class/Follow-up appt. April 25, 2013

Katie M.
on 9/3/13 4:47 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thank you!! Luckily I hung around for a bit and they squeezed me in at 11 as someone else didn't show up :D

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

1greeneyedgirl
on 9/2/13 11:51 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi Katie, I'm sorry to hear about you dad having a heart attack.  I hope he is feeling better every day.  You certainly had a lot of stress to handle this week and it sounds like you did very well.  That would have been very difficult to do I'm sure.  Take care of yourself also.

Yeah, I can totally understand being a day early for your appointment, I've done that with appointments before at the doctors also.  You can't believe you did that. LOL!

Thinking of you.

Cathy xo

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

Katie M.
on 9/3/13 4:50 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thank you :) Luckily though he has been overweight for years, it doesn't look like he has any major blockages so they just have to do a stint. Still a major operation, but not a bypass so we're thankful for that. And it just spurrs me on in the process of losing weight and getting the surgery so I don't end up in the same boat. I think it was a wake up call for all of us, so the eating was a bit easier for me even though I was stressed!

Couldn't believe I showed up an entire day early, as usually I triple check those kinds of things so that I don't mess up :p But they fit me in at 11 today so I was lucky in the end!

Thanks for your kind words :)

Monica M.
on 9/2/13 11:54 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

hugs, girl. Keep doing well.

Katie M.
on 9/3/13 4:50 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks, Monica :) Means a lot!

jellyfishattack
on 9/3/13 1:09 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi Katie,

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, but you have done amazing to stick to your plan with all that stress.

Was your appointment at TWH?  I went down there about 3 weeks ago for 3 appointments: the first at 10am with the social worker (I'd never met him), the second with a nurse practitioner at 11am, and my Nut at 11:30am.  When I got there, the receptionist told me that I only had two appointments that day, so I pulled out the sheet of paper I'd been given with all 3 appointments listed.  He told me, "Oh, he retired yesterday".  So that was that, no appointment with a social worker then, or even at my next round of appointments in December - my follow-ups keep getting more and more delayed, with my 1st follow-ups at 5 months, my 2nd round in mid-December, etc.  Luckily, they weren't busy that day, I was able to see the other two without waiting until my appointed times.  You'd think, though, that they would have called me and told me not to bother coming in so far during rush hour, because there was no appointment at 10am.  Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes at TWH?

(((hugs)))

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Katie M.
on 9/3/13 5:04 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks :) I think the fact that my Dad's weight had a direct link to his heart attack certainly helped me stay away from the junk, or even to binge on anything. 

Yup my appointment was at TWH. Luckily they fit me in at 11 as someone else didn't show up so I won't have to go back tomorrow! I just had to hang around the atrium for a bit ;)

Strangely I was talking to another lady who had something similar to you happen - showed up for appointments that were cancelled or moved out of the clear blue sky. She has been doing preop appointments for three years! Although I think maybe she had to see the social worker and psychiatrist a few times so that has been part of the hold up but she said they definitely messed up her appointments on numerous occasions. Can't believe the social worker you were seeing didn't alert everyone to his retirement date so that they could make sure not to book appointments past then - must have been an oopsie by the receptionists ;) Good thing you were at least able to get in and see the other two without having to wait! But you're right, you think they would have called. Hopefully your follow ups don't have any more delays!

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/13 1:54 am
Sorry to hear about your dad! Sometime we are so darn sure of ourselves that we are astounded when we get it wrong! At least you didn't miss your appt and only showed up early. Imagine having to be scheduled in a couple of months!
Most Active
Recent Topics