I Gotta Ask...

Urbanlamb
on 9/12/13 7:38 am - Canada

How does Opti-Fast shrink your liver?  Wouldn't you get the same results from a very low carb/low cal diet?

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

ArleneAnne
on 9/12/13 7:44 am - Oakville, Canada

Greetings

Great question .... I have been wondering the same myself !

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 7:45 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Yep a low carb diet would do it but most of us aren't disciplined enough to stay on a diet that gives up the limitation to pick.  We have all failed a million diets, Optifast is easy for us, no thinking involved.

johjen
on 9/12/13 7:48 am
I am sure there is "something" in it... (Or some financial/funding kickback) .. Either way I think the opti stage is incredibly important! It shows you that you are capable of overcoming your food problems and you are strong enough to do this journey... All while detoxing you from years and years of food abuse

I would do it all over again... All 3 weeks!
ToNewBeginnings
on 9/12/13 8:36 pm

"It shows you that you are capable of overcoming your food problems and you are strong enough to do this journey."

Yeowch! I believe the opposite.

I think it's flippin' torture to put people who have ' food problems' through optifast. Many of us 'cheat' (myself included) and it makes us feel like failures again. Like we can't even follow a diet for a couple of weeks and we will never be able to be successful at WLS. My reason for having WLS was because I couldn't overcome my food problems.

merry1
on 9/12/13 8:35 am - Canada

I think its part of the rules put forth by OHIP in order for us to have the surgery.  I had to go back and have a sleep study because my last study was outside their time limit.  And its all part of the study they are conducting on our weight loss too.  I have heard of surgeons in the US telling their patients to do a lo carb or no carb diet before surgery with the same results too.

2by4
on 9/12/13 9:49 am

Dr. Hagen from HRRH told me OptiFast does NOT shrink the liver (that would be dangerous to shrink a liver), but it helps to shrink the FAT around the liver.  Because they're doing the surgery laparoscopically, the liver is in the front of the abdomen - the first thing they have to do is pull the liver out of the way and they want the liver to be soft and floppy so they can retract it without tearing it.

You can watch a live video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-Rmk8Mfwk

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 9:51 am - Straford, Canada

Here's the link "live"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-Rmk8Mfwk

JJ_
on 9/12/13 2:11 pm

Some people have had allergic reactions to Optifast.  They  have been put on either Diabetic Boost or a modified diet.

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics