Question for single people w no family

Mandalious
on 10/6/13 12:36 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13
I was wondering if there was anyone on this board that is the same situation as me going into this or have done it   I am single, live alone, no family in the province.     Of course friends will say they will help you, drop by etc etc. But really that doesn't happen most of the time. Their families come first, and I totally understand that.   My questions for those who have been in my situation. No physical family supports at all, how did you handle it?    I guess my fear is that 95% of my socializing come from work. If I'm off for 4-6 weeks longer, I'm gonna get lonely depressed etc without the human contact. Don't get me wrong. I will be txting and chatting with friends. But face to face human contact is need and priceless when you are healing.   I'm hoping I will be cleared for exercise within 3 weeks so I can join curves and go do Zumba and yoga. So I can have human contact that way   I lost so much of my social life when I was depressed before. And be came a shut in expect for work. I'm trying to break the circle of it but sometimes I can come into my apartment Friday after work and not leave until Monday morning. I'm scared the recover of this will set me back the shut in head space. Would love tips from someone who gets it.  Living alone isn't the same as being alone and ppl have commented before about their kids dropping by etc. but it's not the same as me.. You still have contact with someone else.. 5mins maybe nothing to you, but it would be priceless to me   i orginally was gonna have my sister or mom with me. But the time of year doesn't work for then due to work and etc and mom is now taking care of my 93 yr old grandmother now due to another family emergency    I really hope this post doesn't come across looking for pitty.. I'm not. I'm looking for healthy practical  soloutions
Monica9811
on 10/6/13 1:22 am - Peterborough, Canada

Not sure where you live but there might be others in your area from OH that would be happy to get together with you.  Sometimes we have to put forth the effort and plan get togethers.  If we wait for others they get caught up and forget to call.  I am the social convener and if it wasn't for me I would rarely see some friends.  good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/13 1:50 am - Straford, Canada

I would be connecting with folks in your area from OH and/or your bariatric centre and all support groups around WLS you can find close to you.  New friends could take you down new roads you any like traveling more than the old ones, you never know until you try!  

Mandalious
on 10/6/13 1:53 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

True.. I have Made some new friendships here that are just so amazing. 

But I forgot about getting out to support groups. Thanks for that 

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Caroline K.
on 10/6/13 2:58 am

I'm in pre-op, and in a similar situation. My mom has promised to come and stay with me for a while when I have surgery, but apart from a few friends, it's just me and the cat :D  So long as everything goes smoothly, I think I'll be fine since I'm fairly introverted. I'm a little worried about what will happen if it doesn't go well, but that's borrowing trouble. I plan on using the local support group for some social contact, plus once I'm walking, I'll be at the gym as much as I can--there are some nice people there that I chat with when I see them, but they're acquaintances and not friends. Besides, I figure I'll be sleeping a lot for the first little while and not in the mood to be chatty; with hormone release, it may be wiser to avoid people for a while ;)

Mandalious
on 10/6/13 3:03 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Good luck you have family support with your friends and your plan I'm sure you will be fine 

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Zizzler
on 10/6/13 3:51 am

I live alone with my two dogs so I intend to use the support groups extensively and call my family as needed.  I lived alone when I had my gallbladder out too and that was ok.  I would discuss this with your doctor - maybe there is temporary nursing available to come every so often for the first week or two?  My sister had someone come to her home to help every so often after she had major surgery, so it may be possible.  I am the same way and do not have few close friends outside of work, and nobody I would call to come over etc. 

LittleMiss2013
on 10/6/13 3:55 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I have a good tip ..... if you live alone and there is no one to help you out of bed etc. Tie a scarf on the footboard of the bed, make sure it is long enough to reach the headboard, and use it to pull yourself up out of bed when you need that "Helping hand" =)

If you don't have a footboard tie it around the leg of the bed. Good Luck =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Mandalious
on 10/6/13 3:57 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Thanks! That's a great tip! 

Nanato2
on 10/6/13 4:11 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Get out and meet others through coffee groups and support meeting at hospitals. I know there are others that I have become friends with along our journeys and without us supporting and being there for each other it would be hard. Even though you are going through Humber,  TWH has support groups twice a month that I know some from Humber have come to. We would also love to see you again at the Danforth group we are meeting this Tuesday night.  Remember you are not alone in your journey there are other out there in the same boat as you.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics