Day 3

Katie M.
on 10/21/13 12:08 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
Plain water: ouch. Greek yogurt: heartburn. Oatmeal: tastes like wallpaper paste. Protein shake: stinks! Tastes disgusting. Cream of mushroom soup: delish!!! I know I've read others having issues with plain water - how long did it last? I think I have been drinking too much diluted apple juice and that's contributing to the heartburn. But I feel so dry, I need something... I took 2 Prevacid today but it's still pretty bad and seemed to get worse with yogurt consumption even though I only had about an eighth of a cup. Still taking pain meds every 4 hours, if I don't I get really uncomfortable. Can't lay on my side because it hurts my belly but laying on my back doesn't help the heartburn and I also have a pinched nerve on my outer thigh that makes my whole outer thigh burn and go numb when I'm flat on my back. Sigh. I'm just not very good at being incapacitated I guess!! A lot of complaints today. I feel good about everything just not used to relying on anyone for help and not a very good patient I just want to be up and totally mobile again! I am still walking slightly bent over and holding my belly because the muscles around one incision site feel so, so tight. But I managed a shower today so that's something. I think I was overly optimistic thinking I'd have minimal pain and be back at my own house by today!
Ok, whine session over! Just needed a little vent to those who understand

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/13 1:05 pm
Aww, this too shall pass. I think you are doing great! I think I read for the water they put a drop or two of Mio or crystal light drops to break the surface tension of the water so that it's not so hard on the new stomach. Oatmeal, I think the runnier the better. Protein, I think it'**** and miss until you find something Tay will work for your new taste buds. Try premier, I see a lot of vets posting about that one post surgery. I hope you will be back to your mobility soon! Keep on keeping on
Katie M.
on 10/21/13 8:50 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
Good advice I think today will be all about sipping crystal light! And my mom might see about getting a costco membership so I can try some Premiere. I'm in no shape to go myself, so lucky to have my mom!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Chelsea1
on 10/21/13 1:31 pm - Canada
If you like cream of wheat, do it, saved my life lol.

As for water, I'm 10 weeks out and I just started to tolerate plain water. I added some Mio or crystal light to break it up.

I still can't do protein shakes but I forced them down for the first month. Cream of chicken soup has higher protein as well.

Don't worry, just take it day by day and get your water in.

Katie M.
on 10/21/13 8:53 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
I've never liked cream of wheat before, but I think it's time to try it again Otherwise I might be surviving on cream of mushroom soup, lol. But I will try the chicken for the protein for sure. I've been adding protein powder to everything, not the best taste in the world but just something you gotta do I guess thanks for the advice!!

Sunny123
on 10/21/13 7:38 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Sorry you're having a rough go of it -  hope you feel better soon!

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 10/21/13 8:54 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
Thanks! I think it was just a long first full day at home (well, at my parent's home) and I was grumpy lol But every day will get better!

KerryF.
on 10/21/13 9:02 pm, edited 10/21/13 9:02 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I'm having the heartburn problem as well. I read in the white binder from TWH that it is  common for heartburn post surgery because with the new small stomach pouch even small amounts of air swallowed when we eat and drink will cause painful gas.

And the book recommends to also get over the counter products from the pharmacy. So my husband got me Zantac because pre surgery I had bad acid reflux (so I'm sure that is making it worse now for me) and Zantac was my go - to friend.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Katie M.
on 10/21/13 9:38 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
My mom was wondering if I could take a Gaviscon last night but I didn't because I didn't remember whether it was allowed - I didn't have any heart burn problems pre-op so I just skimmed the heartburn page in the binder. Better go back and read it today! I definitely still have gas issues, it just doesn't want to seem to come out but hopefully the more my stomach heals the easier it will get to take longer walks. Makes sense that the small amounts of air we swallow contributes to the gas and the pain. I hope you find relief for your heartburn soon, how have you been doing otherwise? Good I hope?

KerryF.
on 10/21/13 10:18 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Really really well - heartburn is my only problem. I'm sleeping in my own bed, I'm climbing stairs.

I'm going to try driving my car tonight when the hubby comes home from work.  Both trips in the car since surgery was quite painful but so was sneezing and that doesn't hurt now and I have a doctor's appointment Thursday with my GP for the 1 week follow up and I want to be able to drive myself there so my husband doesn't need to take time off work.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Most Active
Recent Topics