Ottawa Surgeons

Alberta1
on 11/13/13 11:06 am - Iroquois, Canada

Wondering if any of you would be willing to share your experiences and thought about your surgeon.  I will be having surgery in Ottawa and would like to know what surgery you had and overall feelings about the whole surgical process.

Referral July 3, 2013 * Orientation October 16, 2013 * Nurse Practitioner November 6, 2013 * Ultrasound December 9, 2013 * Nutritionist & Social Worker December 12, 2013 * 2nd Nutritionist January 27, 2014  *Pulmonary Functions Test Feb 6, 2014* Endoscopy Feb 14, 2014*  2nd Nurse Practitioner March 3, 2014*  Pre-Surgical Class April 16, 2014* Surgeon Dr. Neville May 20, 2014* Surgery October 2, 2014

hockeydad2013
on 11/13/13 8:39 pm - Canada

I had my surgery on October 11, 2013. I was on the table 2 hours and after had no pain and was up walking that night. They had the most comfortable air mattress beds that adjusted and could have sleep  for hours they were so comfy. The nurses were absolutely fabulous and went out of their way for me. I had the surgery on Frday so no one from the clinic came over, but the floor was really quiet so they gave me more attention.

Everything will be great, do what the nurses say, and get lots of sleep and you will be great,

Jessica S.
on 11/13/13 9:36 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I had mine in March with Doctor Raiche, went amazing, my recovery was wonderful, no issues or complications at all, I started at 255 lbs and I am now at 164.5 in 7 months, so not sure if she had anything to do with size of tummy but I am very happy with her.

jen1016
on 11/13/13 11:01 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13

I had at my surgery 8 weeks ago today, with Dr. Neville and I thought she was fantastic.  I ended up staying an extra day because I vomited a few times  on the Friday night, so was a bit dehydrated on the Saturday morning.  Dr. Neville visited me, every day I was there.  I found the nurses to be wonderful as well.  I had the RNY

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/14/13 1:40 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I went through Ottawa in March 2013 with Dr. Raiche-she was amazing! The Ottawa Civic staff were so nice and helpful. FYI-you automatically get a semi-private room because of the floor that you go to after surgery, so, you don't need to pay for the option (if you were considering that at all).

Between sleeping, walking and drinking, there wasn't much time for anything else, so, I wouldn't bother with a TV or phone rental either. Someone had shared on here to be sure to bring lip chap in a baggy (so it doesn't roll off your bedside table) and that was one of the best pieces of advice for me (my lips are always dry). I also brought my iPad and phone to have something to do the few times I was bored and awake, lol!

Bring a pillow for your car ride home too, it will help with the comfort during your ride.

Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

cutekatie
on 11/14/13 6:40 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I had surgery in May of 2012 with Dr. Mammaza. he is an excellent surgeon but very curt, short on words. I actually met Dr. Raiche for my consult but because I was able to pick my date I ended up having Dr. Mammaza (my understanding is you normally get scheduled for whatever surgeon you meet at consult.

Anyways as others have said you get a semi private room. The care was awesome. You're in the new trauma wing so thats great. I almost got sent home after one night but my WBC count was too high.

I felt very comfortable with Dr. Mammaza and was a little hesitant having Dr. Raiche as she was the newest least experienced surgeon at the time.

Here is a good place to go through my rant on this. I was told RNY and I wouldn't have wanted any other surgery as I feel one of the bad things about the system is that none of the surgeons in Ottawa really are getting a lot of experience. They all have one day a week to do surgeries and thus only do 2-3 surgeries a week. Thats in comparison to some centres (outside of the country I mean) where the surgeons are doing 5-10 surgeries a week and thus have so much more experience. O.k rant over.

I also have never had an issue with the front desk staff. I'm actually going back for a follow up on Monday and she was very accommodating to try to get two appointments on the same day within a reasonable time. Remember they are bogged down with people constantly calling demanding cancelation, asking why they aren't being called, etc. They do a great job.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Erin Kenny
on 11/16/13 12:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/24/13

I had Dr Yelle in July and got to spend a fair bit of time . . . observing him and the staff at the Civic as I had a fair number of complications (including my gallbladder, all within the first 9 weeks of my RNY - they called me their "rubber band" patient). They were absolutely fabulous with me.

Dr Yelle came to see me every day he was on and always had time for my questions. He was thorough and efficient and caring.

The nurses at the Civic are absolutely top notch.

Good luck!

Emillie008
on 1/14/14 1:33 am - Canada

I had surgery by Dr. Neville on November 29th, 2013. I thought she was fantastic! She was incredibly nice and a really good surgeon! She checked up on me every day I was in the hospital. I'm actually a bit disappointed that I probably won't ever see her again. I really enjoyed having female doctor, it made me feel a lot more comfortable. I met with a different doctor for my pre-surgical appointment (Dr. Mamazza - I hope I spelled that right) and didn't feel super comfortable with him. due to scheduling my surgery around my 2 jobs I landed an appointment with Dr. Neville.

Good luck with your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics