First case of foamies... oh my.

Katie M.
on 11/17/13 12:02 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I had some chicken that I ate too fast, and it was too dry. Leftover chicken thigh that I heated up in the microwave - I should have known better! It got stuck, wouldn't go down, wouldn't come back up. Finally sipped some warm water about three hours after it got stuck and it made it past the base of my throat to my sternum where I had the most intense pain.. Oh wow. Oww. For the last hour my stomach has been gurgling and groaning and basically protesting, and just now I finally threw up - but it was just foam. I feel better, sort of, but now the gurgling is even worse. And I'm so tired but lying down just makes things hurt. Sigh. I will never forget the lesson of tonight. No dry meat, even if I think it's not that dry - if it's not super moist, it's too dry. And slow. down. No distracted eating. Hope I start to feel better soon, this is horrible :(

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

LittleMiss2013
on 11/17/13 12:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

OMG! I totally got foamies 2 days ago ALSO from a chicken thigh that I ate too fast, lol Damn you chicken thighs!  I threw up right away though....everything I ate, lol

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Katie M.
on 11/17/13 1:09 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Man I wish I could have thrown up right away! Four hours of stuck-ness for me before the foam finally made it's appearance. I feel better now though. But I have definitely broken up with chicken for now - I may be scarred for life after that little episode :p

KristieA
on 11/17/13 12:38 pm - Orillia, Canada
Hopefully there isn't a next time, but just in case-I use papaya enzymes when this happens. Foamies and stuck food are no fun. My first case of the foamies was with tilapia fish......ewwwww gross. Hope you feel better soon. You may feel a bit sore tomorrow. Stick to softer foods. It will get better. Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Katie M.
on 11/17/13 1:12 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I wish I'd had papaya enzymes, that would have helped immensely. I didn't trust myself to drive to Walmart though, I was having a bit of a panic and was afraid I'd throw up in the vitamin aisle ;) But first thing tomorrow I'll get some! Hope to never need them, but good to have on hand. 

Haven't tried fish yet but I think for the time being I will stick to ground beef as that has never given me an issue. Tomorrow will be a "full liquids" day I think. Throat is pretty scratchy and I feel all wrung out. Thanks for the well wishes and advice :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Maricw
on 11/17/13 1:22 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hope you feel better soon

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

Katie M.
on 11/17/13 1:34 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Thanks :) Feeling much better now than I did a few hours ago!

Dar_Mab
on 11/17/13 6:25 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Oh I do know how that feels. Been there and done it.  And have since learned to avoid dry meats and to remember to slow down. Plus like some vets have suggested went out and bought papaya enzymes for when those occasions occur. Hopefully never again but that is likely naive. 

Hope me you feel better soon 

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Katie M.
on 11/17/13 11:42 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I'll be avoiding dry meats like the plague! Today I've gone back to full liquids but when I do eat again it will be so slow. No more 15 minute meals for this girl, I have learned my lesson. I guess we all go through it, to varying degrees. I hope to never have it again but like you I figure that is not likely over the course of a lifetime. But it definitely serves as a very painful reminder of the new eating rules!!

Another Fatone
on 11/17/13 6:39 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

For chicken I have to have dipping gravy. KFC is my fav. I like Bob Evans and Denny's turkey but have to have a side of gravy.

I also stick hamburger paddies. Fortunately...when I stick I can throw up. Yep lots of foam first.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Most Active
Recent Topics