Discouraged!

merry1
on 12/20/13 8:20 pm - Canada

So my surgery was the first week of June and up until the end of October I have lost between 90-95 pounds for which I am really pleased.  I have another 40-50 more to go.  The last seven to eight weeks I go up and down the same five pounds but I'm not losing anything.  Now I exercise for a half hour a day and I am keeping track of calories - usually less than 1000/day and still nothing is happening.  Really need some feedback and I know its impossible to judge if this is the end of my weight loss but can't help wonder.  Has anyone experienced a stall like this?  I am ready to put my scales away for a bit because it bothers me that much.....I have had lots of stalls but three weeks max,

Megan M.
on 12/20/13 8:38 pm - Canada

I lost 100 lbs in about 9months, and after that, no matter what I did, I couldn't drop anymore weight, so I am learning to love my slightly plump body!  I do think that 1000 calories may be low, however.  Try increasing your calories by 2 or 300 calories a day for a month and see what happens.  If we eat too few calories, the body does try to hold onto everything.  Just might be the jolt your body needs.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

mispysmom
on 12/20/13 9:28 pm - elliot lake, Canada
good idea!

Amanda

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/13 10:57 pm

very important point -- the less we eat the less weight we loose during the fast weight loss phase.

also - don't forget your hydration!  non-caloric fluids are very very important!!  you should aim for 2L/day . drinking through-out the day.   :)

merry1
on 12/21/13 12:14 am - Canada

Thanks all,  I am surprised that even with our tiny pouches and malabsorption effect we still struggle.  There must be more to obesity that we still don't understand.  I will try bumping up my calories and see what happens.  I would love to lose another 20.  My diabetes is almost gone, but not quite.  I have a lot to be thankful for, I was not at all well before surgery!  I am in my late 50's so that may have an effect on it too. 

Leanne1
on 12/22/13 12:59 am - Newmarket, Canada
Have you had your 6month follow up with Mary, Katie or Lorraine? I am positive they would/will tell you to up your intake, you definitely are not getting enough. Lorraine told me at my 6month follow up to go up to 1200-1400cals per day. I thought she was nuts. But after I did that, I felt better, more energentic. Some days I still don't eat that much and other days I can. Make sure to drink lots of water!!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

merry1
on 12/24/13 6:20 am - Canada

Thanks! I will give it a try.  It seems like a lot of calories.  I am also exercising 20-30 minutes on the treadmill or the Gazelle.  If nothing else it makes me feel better..

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/13 1:40 am

that's very little calories. Go by fitness pal with your height and weight. I lost on their numbers and once I went lower - stall.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/21/13 2:54 am - Windsor, Canada

What's your percentage ratio of carbs protein and fat?  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

merry1
on 12/21/13 4:41 am - Canada

I tried to download my fitness pal and it wouldn't do it for some reason - I too thought I should keep track so I started up with Spark People and I would have to go back to check but the first day I had 847 cal and I think it was over 50g of carbs and over 70g protein, the fat i think was 25g.  Then, with one thing and another I decided to keep a hand written diary - but my meals are pretty straight forward I shoot for 3 x 300cal with 20g of protein in each, I have protein bars and drinks which I sometimes have but usually I have a protein snack before bedtime to make up the rest of the protein.  I'm going to try to add 2 small snacks for an extra couple hundred cals.  I can get dumping easily so I have to be careful how much fat and sugar and if I eat too fast I get it too.

Most Active
Recent Topics