Ottawa Surgeries

mmona
on 12/23/13 2:46 am

I was wondering if anyone has had an appointment with a surgeon in the last week or so in Ottawa?  Do you know what month they are booking surgeries in?

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/23/13 6:27 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

My daughter met with the surgeon on Nov. 19th & was told they would call with her date within 2-4 months. I am thinking she will get a date in Feb/Mar.

She is out of Kingston & has everything else done, just waiting to start Opti & for the big day to get here.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

mmona
on 12/23/13 6:57 am

Great thank you. 

Zizzler
on 12/23/13 8:03 am

Not sure if this is helpful or not but a nurse at the civic recently told me that the surgeons get together once at the beginning of each season to plan that season's surgeries.  If you have all your appointments done before the beginning of that season - say winter - then there is a good chance you will have your surgery during the winter season.  If not, the next time they meet is early spring to plan those surgeries and so on.  Of course, they have a limited amount of surgery slots, so sometimes things get backed up and that plan gets a little messed up.  Good luck and let us know when you get your date...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Girlie79
on 12/23/13 10:34 am

Waiting on any info from Ottawa is rather frustrating. It appears depending on the person depends on the info. I spoke with Lana 3 weeks ago who said they were booking me around 3-4th week in Jan if all went well and she would know within 2 weeks....as usual....no calls yet! I'm assuming it won't be in Jan at this point! Good luck to all other Kingston peeps waiting on their Ottawa dates! 

Zizzler
on 12/23/13 12:39 pm

Totally agree that there is no consistency in the timelines they give you. One wil tell you within a week, the other says 4-6 months.  There is one lady who is not very nice to deal with butSalk other office staff have been really nice and courteous.Hope they give you a call soon :-)

cutekatie
on 12/23/13 10:28 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

Not sure if they still do this (I had surgery in 2012) but it seemed that Lana called the beginning of the month to book for the next month. I saw the surgeon first week of April and was given a choice of dates in May.

I've also heard issues with end of year budgets and OR time, etc. so it might depend on what month you are looking at (Holidays, end of year, beginning of the year might be complicated).

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Girlie79
on 12/23/13 10:42 pm

All I have to say is despite all the inconsistency all they have to do is be honest and say.....we have no idea when we are going to call you! Stop giving false hopes of dates and times! 

cutekatie
on 12/23/13 11:57 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

If people didn't call every day asking for cancellations and updates on their appointments maybe they wouldn't have to tell people that. They wouldn't have to tell people anything. They would call us with the information and be done with it.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Zizzler
on 12/24/13 3:55 am

I have no problem calling there - they refuse to have a cancellation list so there is little choice.  I don't think a high volume of calls means they should just go ahead and lie to people just to shut them up.  It is simply not professional to give out inconsistent or false messages about wait times just to make them go away.  It also leads to people losing faith that the process is being run fairly.  I agree the system needs work but until they fix it how can you blame people for trying to speed up this painful process?

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Recent Topics