Confused re Dr Hong and DS

dawn4511
on 1/15/14 11:13 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hello all
So I've been going to St Joe's in Hamilton since Aug 2012 to get my ducks in a row for RNY to DS revision. I have one of my final appts on Mon whoo hoo. However I came across a post today saying that Dr Hong doesn't actually do revisions. He refers to Dr Gagner. In the many appts I've had at St Joe's with the whole team(haven't actually met DR Hong yet) it has always been said he was the one doing the surgery. It was an older post I found but it made me go WTH? I was told he can do 10a yr and I would be on the list this year. No one at St Joes ever mentioned Dr Gagner or that I would be going to Montreal.

So anyone have any insight? Anyone have a revision with Dr Hong himself?

thanks for reading

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/14 11:25 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

A friend of mine had Dr Hong for a revision from RNY to DS and he did it himself.  He told her going in that he may have to do it in two steps through as it's a big job to take down a RNY so he cautioned her that it may be take down the RNY and do a VSG the first time then come back later and do the switch part.

bonefish
on 1/16/14 10:25 am

He does do it himself.  To my knowledge he had referred a few people to Dr. Gagner but not in some time.  I believe everybody he has done personally has been two steps, however.

dawn4511
on 1/16/14 11:38 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
Thanks very much for your response. I feel a lot less crazy now.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Jeff Z.
on 1/17/14 2:45 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
As others stated he does do surgeries himself, but I cannot comment on any statistics regarding one or two stage approaches.

I myself did not have an RNY so my revision was merely to just add the switch, however I requested Dr. Gagner strictly due to him having more experience with revisions, as well as my weight/BMI.

Dr. Hong agreed to this as I believe he felt this was the best case scenario for me.

Good to know that he is allowed at least 10 revisions a year. That is a higher number than I would have imagined. I'm still trying to get someone to see me since my DS revision back in June 2012. As with my VSG in October 2009 I've basically been orphaned by the system and left to fend for myself.

Last I heard I've been in a loop between TWH and St. Joe's with regards to my file being transferred.

I did want to mention that Dr. Gagner did train Dr. Hong if you were not aware of this. That is some excellent tutelage.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Most Active
Recent Topics