Calcium

SuzieQ11
on 1/29/14 4:40 am - Whitby, Canada

I am 2 weeks post-op. The one thing I dread every day are the calcium supplements that I take - SIX per day. I am so sick of the sweet chews (I use the Bariatric Advantage ones) - just wondering if anyone used any alternatives? Am I right in assuming that all "pill" supplements are huge horse pills?

I also find the protein shakes really sweet too, but at least I can try making my own that may taste less sweet.

Everything else is being really well tolerated, and I'm anxious for some warmer weather so that I can get out and enjoy outdoors (getting cabin fever!!)

Referral: May 25th, 2013 / Orientation: June 17th. / Dr. Glazer: Sept. 3./ RN/RD/SW: Sept 5./ Follow up SW October 4 / 2nd appt with Dr. Klein: Oct 30 / Surgery date: Jan 15

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/14 5:27 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I buy regular ones that are the size of a multivitamin and they are 300 mg each.  I just chew them and other than a slight chalky feeling in my mouth, there is no taste. I just wa**** down with a bit of water after. I used Bariatric Advantage but got sick of that taste and quickly switched. 

Hennagirliegirl
on 1/29/14 6:37 am - Canada

i feel your pain with the sweet taste. I switched to calcium citrate 300mg tabs (2 three times a day) at 4 weeks post op and had no problem swallowing them. I also switched from chewie centrum 50+ vitamins to the same but not chewable, they are the same size as the calcium citrate tabs.

Good luck!

Terri

Test

SuzieQ11
on 1/29/14 9:28 am - Whitby, Canada

Thanks Tracey and Terri - I'll try the pills - but maybe I'll wait till I'm a month out.

Crystal82
on 1/29/14 9:29 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14
I'm using the liquid calcium with vitamin D (Wellesse) 15mls 3 times a day each 15 mls has 500mls calcium and 500 IU of D (I add extra vitamin D drops to my lunch shot). It isn't the most pleasant BUT it's quick and and once u can shoot it (lol) it's easier.

Surgery January 6, 2014!

JJ_
on 1/29/14 7:56 pm

I switched to the calcium pills at 8 weeks post-op.  I used a pill splitter and cut them into pieces and swallowed them.  At 3 months out I started to swallow the pills whole and have not had problems since.  When I was in hospital post-op, they gave me liquid calcium and I had immediate nausea (both days).  Therefore I was not willing to try any of the liquid calcium available.

Good luck,

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics