So tired of waiting

taniagirlca
on 3/22/14 9:59 am

It will be a year and a half from referral by the time I get surgery, so tired of the wait. I know Im on the last stretch, just waiting for my date in Ottawa but when I see others going through faster it just gets frustrating. Just when you think you are close and get all excited, its another long waiting game :(

On the positive side, summer will be a good time to have it done as I have booked a month off in holidays too :)

beme_atlast
on 3/22/14 10:11 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

What do they say about patience is a virtue ...forget that ...we just want to get on with it. Don't worry, you'll get there.

When I discussed the same concern with the SW, she suggested that maybe it was a blessing in disguise because it gave me more time to address my emotional eating issues before my surgery. I have been doing that and ...who knows ...maybe she was right? At any rate, I think I feel more prepared.

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

taniagirlca
on 3/22/14 10:16 am

You are right about that, there have been times when I have thought about backing out and then as time goes on it gives me more time to think about it and confirm that I really do want to  have it done and change my lifestyle !

momjan
on 3/22/14 10:20 am - Canada

Last I heard the wait in BC is around 5 years............

Zizzler
on 3/22/14 1:21 pm

When they told me in January that it would be another year until surgery I totally freaked out and wanted to quit - I had just had it with their fabricated timelines. Glad I did not quit and yes I have learned more in the meantime, feel even more prepared than ever.  From now until surgery I will:

practice eating tiny bites as it seems to be the one thing I forget

do a spring cleaning of the house to prepare for after surgery

start gathering non-perishables foods with long expiry date like jello, puddings, etc.

organize my clothing by size to see what I have.  I have several bins of smaller stuff to be examined.

continue adding to my post-op cookbook

Start gathering vitamins if they have long expiry, watching for sales

And more...I just wish I had a date then I could plan even more specifically, but such is life.

Take care and I hope the times flies for you!!

Mrs-T
on 3/22/14 10:34 am - Canada

I feel your pain Tania I've been waiting for close to 2 years, I met the surgeon on January 28th and I'm still waiting for a surgery date.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/22/14 11:16 am - Windsor, Canada

Like others said use your time.  Time can be a great gift.    I can't say this enough.  This is damn hard work long term - look at your issues now and work on your habits.  You'll have forty years to live with surgery. 

Do as much "pre surgery work" as you can.  It will only benefit you an I can guarantee it will be worth the wait.  10-12 years wait in New Brunswick.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ladiieBee
on 3/22/14 1:35 pm - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

hi, 

I'm from the states...I was just wondering why the process is much longer in canada? Every time I come across a post from the canadian board it alway mentions a wait period of 6 months or more for seminar, initial consult, surgery etc. 

I was just curious and I know this whole wls thing is a waiting game, but that just seems a little excessive?!

~LadiieBee~ 

MarkES
on 3/22/14 8:30 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there...  We have a health plan in Ontario that has a few Centers of Excellence (COE) that coordinate the (mainly RNY) surgeries to a limit that was pre-approved (covered in the provincial plan) for the year.  Based on where you live in the Province you are assigned to go through the process (social worker, nurse, dietitian,  internist and surgeon visits).  In the bigger cities there are more facilities and doctors than the more remote locations.  Delays are due to the planning of the visits and the availability of the health professionals that are part of the COE that you are assigned to.  It's not a perfect system for sure, but the delays are a good time, as others have said, to get prepared for the life changes following the surgery.

Ref Jul 4, 2012,  Orientation Aug 27,  Surgeon Aug 31, RD Sept 18,  SW RD & RN Oct 18, Internist Nov 5, Surgeon Nov 21,  PATTS Nov 29, Surgery Dec 14,2012 (HRRH - Dr Sohi).

otmama
on 3/24/14 11:39 am
RNY on 04/30/14

You're almost there!  My referral went in back in October of 2012!!  After I met with the surgeon, they told me it would be 3-5mnths & I got scheduled 4mnths later.  I saw someone post about asking to be put on a cancellation list - I would've tried that if I had thought of it!  There's no way around it - waiting sucks!!  LOL  You can do it!!!

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Most Active
Recent Topics