Got my date!!! + best Opti flavour?

Brittany_31113
on 5/23/14 3:41 am

Just got of the phone with Dr. Sohi's office..... AND my surgery date is July 2nd at HRRH!!! 

I start my opti on June 11th, witch im not super excited about, considering the "reviews" i have read.  But i know it has to be done, so my question to you is.. what is the best flavour? chocolate or vanilla and do you have any tips on how to make it more tolerable?

Beyond excited for this next stage in life... but also a little (or maybe a lot) nervous!

otmama
on 5/23/14 3:57 am
RNY on 04/30/14

For me it was chocolate - blended with ice & adding in SF peppermint or SF coconut syrup.  It wasn't bad at all.  The vanilla was a whole different story - blah!  Good luck & congrats on getting your date:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Patm
on 5/23/14 4:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I found the chocolate with coffee crystals the only one I could take. I have added you to the surgery list.

Catw
on 5/23/14 4:57 am - Arnprior, Canada

I liked the chocolate, but it had to be really cold water in it.  I didn't know about adding flavors at the time.

Which one is best???  Well, that's really up to you.  Some prefer vanilla, some prefer chocolate.  Some love it, some hate it.

If you go to http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/discussion/,  there is a thread on surviving optifast.  It might help you with what you can add.

Cathy

Caroline K.
on 5/23/14 4:59 am

I didn't mind either flavour, but I didn't think they were great, either. To me, they tasted like boxed cake mixes. The chocolate with peppermint extract or instant decaf coffee crystals was pretty decent. I added some sugar free Da Vinci raspberry or gingerbread syrup to the vanilla, which tasted fine. I *really* craved the 1 cup of broth Guelph allows, though.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

sellarsgal
on 5/23/14 6:13 am - Oshawa, Canada

Congrats! I am on opti now, not a fan but you get used to it. I added extra water to make it more like milk consistency. I haven't added any flavors, but I do prefer the chocolate. Good luck!!

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

michellecowles
on 5/23/14 6:19 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Hey Brittany!

I JUST started my opti today! and I have to say that the vanilla isnt HORRIBLE but to me kind of tastes like cardboard.. so the best advice I received on this board was from a woman named Annette. She told me to add a tablespoon of pure cocoa powder to the vanilla. I tried that today and I must say it's pretty good! Remember that pure cocoa powder in stores can also be called cacao powder. I was also told to try decaf instant coffee in it.. which I hated. So for me the Cacao powder in the vanilla opti works great! I have yet to try the chocolate, but when I do I'll let you know how it goes :) 

I was definitely nervous about the opti as I was reading all of the negative reviews about the vanilla.. but I have to say that it is not as bad as it's made out to be :) You'll do fine! 

Being excited and nervous is perfectly normal! Good luck with everything! 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

kimber291
on 5/23/14 1:44 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

When I did the opti I figured it would be the vanilla I would have a hard time with as I LOVE chocolate and am not a big fan if vanilla.  Well it turned out to be the total opposite.  Loved the vanilla and could do without the chocolate. I had extras of each so I used up all the vanilla then had like 1 vanilla and the rest chocolate to drink on the last day!

I can't believe you getting so close finally Michelle!! Woo hoo!!

Good luck to both of you!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Hennagirliegirl
on 5/23/14 1:40 pm - Canada

not everyone hates opti. I actually enjoyed both the chocolate and the vanilla. I didn't add any flavours to them. I did find I felt fuller when mixing with the magic bullet, lots of water and ice.

I drank 4 each and every day.

Part of it is your mindset, so since it has to be done you might as well approach it with enthusiasm!

Good luck, and congratulations on your upcoming surgery date.

Terri

Test

kimber291
on 5/23/14 1:51 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I mixed my vanilla with crystal light orange pineapple banana flavor and to be quite honest I miss it....it was so good! Someone asked me why I don't mix it with the protein shakes because I've had a tough time with drinking the shakes. I haven't tried it but I just think they would be way too sweet. That is why I have a hard time with them in the first place. 

Oh how I miss them lol

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Most Active
Recent Topics