Small plates

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/27/14 11:45 am

So my Center recommends buying smaller plates, glasses, etc. to give the illusion of a full meal after surgery.  I'm wondering if anyone did this and if they found the smaller plates etc. useful.

kathie1212
on 6/27/14 12:18 pm - Stoney Creek , Canada

I used the luncheon plates when I was on dr bernsteins  it did help!

1HealthyMomma
on 6/27/14 12:19 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I'm pre op but I did buy small desert spoons to help with the small bits after surgery. Not sure if it was a waste but I bought a whole set of 12.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/14 12:51 am

My centre also made this but I was also told not to focus on portions but enstead better choices so using smaller   Dishes seemed silly to me. However since surgery, it seems silly not to use smaller dishes because the portions are so much smaller. 

Laurie C.
on 6/28/14 1:24 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I have only used the lunch plates from my set since my surgery, I use a dessert fork and a coffee spoon, fruit nappies for dessert.  Would seem strange now to use a dinner plate.  I did have to buy extra coffee spoons since they seem to be used first.  My husband is the same.  So 12 dinner plates sit in the cupboard seldom used, hmm should throw them in the dishwasher to give them a cleaning in case we have company.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/28/14 7:28 am

Thank you both so much.  I had completely forgotten about utensils.  I think I will probably start with the lunch plates but definitely buy a few smaller spoons and forks.  I have hand forged cutlery which is quite large and heavy.  I could probably get a 1/8 cup of food on the large spoons!

56sunShine14
on 6/28/14 8:27 am

I have been using salad plates since my band was put in - 2007.  And if I am unsure of portion size in normal servings, I look at the palm of my hand.  That is 3-4 oz. of anything solid and is a great guide to use.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Lori W.
on 6/28/14 9:54 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

I wouldn't invest any money. I just use the salad plates or bowls from my set and small teaspoons. Only fill the teaspoon half way. I also had some desert bowls - like for jello that were 1/2 cup in size.

Catw
on 6/29/14 11:06 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I had the kids plastic plates which I used as much as they did.  Now I just use the lunch plates and smaller bowls.  I still use a teaspoon, and use whichever fork.  I wouldn't worry about the size of glass, especially if it has water in it. 

Having a smaller plate does help.  The perception your brain has, is that there is more food on the plate than there really is.  So you think you're eating more.  It's one of those mind tricks that have been used for a long time.  If you were to buy something, maybe a small divided plate.  Then you can see exactly how much (percentage) you have of everything.  But it's not needed.

Cathy

lucky2brh-yahoo.com
on 6/29/14 11:51 pm - Wilmington, NC
RNY on 07/01/14

I found a set of 24 colored plastic  (throw away) baby spoons at the grocery store for $1.99.  Kinda like it! Just for me!  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics