Ketosis after RNY

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/19/14 4:52 pm

So being the science minded gal that I am, I purchased keto sticks while on Optifast to make sure my liver was shrinking.  Opti shrinks your liver by putting you in a state of mild ketosis where you don't get enough carbs so your body burns fat to make carbs.  Well when you pee on keto sticks they tell you the degree of ketosis from none to major.  While on Opti I was always in ketosis but also on the mild end of the spectrum.  I'm now squarely are the other end of the chart - major ketosis.  Anyone know if this is normal? I know short term it's good cause I'm losing fat but is too much ketosis a bad thing?  Should I be adding in some more carbs?

NorthernStar
on 7/19/14 10:41 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

There's really no phases or degrees of ketosis. Ketostix measure the amount of ketones being released in your urine. That amount my be smaller or larger, but it is dependant on a lot of other things and don't mean "major" or "minor" ketosis. Ketosis is like being pregnant - you are or you aren't. You're not a little or a lot pregnant.

There's a lot of discussion around ketosis and ketogenic diets in general. All I will say is I lost best when I kept my carb intake minimal (40-50 or so grams a day). I never used ketostix, you really don't need them.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

otmama
on 7/20/14 12:02 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

I did the Dr. Bernstein diet before my rny and they want you in ketosis so that you're burning without the hunger - if you cheated while on the Dr. B diet - you got "bumped out" of ketosis and that was not a good thing.  So based on that, I'm guessing it's fine to be in ketosis but check with your clinic:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

LittleMiss2013
on 7/21/14 1:52 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

You will likely get 100 different answers to this question, lol. Some people LIVE for ketosis.....low carb, high fat burning. Ideally....in my opinion.....this is where you want to be to burn the most fat and lose the most weight NOW.

The other half of that argument is....you need carbs to live....good healthy carbs, within reason....are good for the body....

I don't believe ketosis will hurt you in anyway.....I have never heard of it hurting you, and I also did Dr.Bernstein back in the day =)  I have found through my own experience that low carb works better for me if I want to lose. Carbs will STOP all weight loss for me. I eat em anyway, but I am not actively losing. However....if I am low carbing and I hit a stall in weight loss, eating a small pizza slice or something for the carbs will kick start the weight loss again and I can go back to low carb to continue it. It's weird but it works. For me carbs take me right out of ketosis and it's hard to get back in

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics