what to snack on

TiffanyandCo
on 7/21/14 12:59 pm - Canada

hey guys, I will be going up to the cottage for a week and was wondering what I can snack on while i'm up there. I know off all the regular food (vegetables, fruit, yogurt, etc) I need quick easy to grab items that are easy to transport and will keep for a long time as we will be at the beach most of the day.  

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/21/14 3:01 pm

I'm a huge fan of jerky.  Too soon to tell whether I'll ever get it again post surgery but here's hoping.  Also try roasted chick peas or endamame, nuts, and those snap pea snacks.  In a magazine I recently saw them pack jam jars with hummus at the bottom and veggies sticks the length of the jar.  Simply screw the lid on and it's a no mess way to go that's portion controlled.  Fruit is also good for travelling.

Catw
on 7/21/14 10:44 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Take a cooler to the beach, then you can keep things cool but available.  If you do this, try freezing yogurt.  It won't hurt the yogurt and it will do double duty, keep things cool, and keep the yogurt good.  Take some dried fruit (i.e raisons) jus****ch the quantity as they are higher in sugar per volume.  If you can tolerate it, I love jerky.  (if it's too dry, I do have to sip on something with it).  If you have a cooler, cheesestrings.  Actually, by taking a cooler, you can take whatever you want.  Just make sure that if you are doing something like yogurt, that you either take single serving containers, or preportion it so that you don't have to open a big one at the beach.  Just remember to take plastic cutlery.  And you can do what my Gran used to do, put some wet j-cloths in a bag to use to wipe sticky or messy hands.

Enjoy the Cottage.

Cathy

Mary A.
on 7/22/14 1:32 am

I love frozen yogurt bars (just have to watch the nutritional info) for carbs/sugars etc...also early on I was a huge fan of cheese strings, it kept my hands a bit busier trying to pull them apart....and definatly hummus~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Kimmiekat
on 7/22/14 11:04 am

I buy the little packs of almonds, cheese strings and turkey pepperoni sticks. They work in a pinch! Also, I pre-cook chicken breast and chop and pack them into individual snack bags, easy snacking in a hurry!

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

TiffanyandCo
on 7/22/14 12:36 pm - Canada

Great suggestions... In terms of the orated chick peas do I roast them my self or can I buy them at like a metro or no frills? 

Most Active
Recent Topics