Met the anasteiologist today....

Blueiiis
on 7/28/14 5:50 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Was at TWH for pre-op appointment today. One of my biggest fears is being intubated, and considering what we go through for the RNY, this is top of my anxiety list.

Turns out that he thinks it will be difficult to intubate, scored me a 4 on his test (guess I have a big tongue). Asked him all kinds if questions so I feel confident it will go ok, but.....

has anyone had any problems being intubated that you know of? 

Sassy75
on 7/28/14 7:40 am - North York, Canada

Hey, I ha my pre-op last Monday and met mine too. He didn't give me a number range but said I was mid risk. He said he will have all equipment needed on hand should an issue arise. I was kinda nervous about it but realized there is really nothing I can do about it so I will try not to stress about it. Try not to worry. This is their specialty. 

Dave_J
on 7/28/14 9:14 am - Canada

Now that you mention it, when I met the anesthesiologist there was a concern about my size etc, and she mentioned about intubating me while standing up.  However, when I had the surgery, they knocked me out lying down.  I guess it went OK, as I'm still here ;)

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/28/14 9:54 am

If it helps at all they incubate while you are asleep.  You won't feel a thing or know how much they had to manipulate you to get the tube down.  My mother has a very small mouth and jaw and recently had emergency spinal surgery.  They expected trouble getting the tube in and out (which is often harder) but no problems.  4 is almost middle of the road.  Try not to worry too much.

RNY-Wife
on 7/28/14 11:55 am

If this is a high point of anxiety for you, make sure you tell them ... Tell everyone. They will support you in this. They can give you a medication pretty much as soon as you get there to help you relax. 

Also, remember that they have to tell you ALL of the risks ... The worst things that could possibly happen. They need you to know this so you have 'informed consent' for the procedure. If they predict difficulties, they prepare you and everyone in the OR; doesn't mean this is what will happen. It is our job in the medical field to prepare for the worst for the safety of the patient. 

My husband just had this surgery a week ago ... He's almost 6' and was ~385lbs at OR time ... No difficulties. 

Remember too that this is what they do everyday, all day ... I am sure you are in great hands. 

Blueiiis
on 7/28/14 11:59 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you everyone.  I will try not to stress about it. :)

kathie1212
on 7/29/14 12:33 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

GREAAAATTTT just found something new to worry about lol I did not know they intubated you for this surgery lolol oh well ill be asleep!

Blueiiis
on 7/29/14 2:54 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

lol sorry!! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics