Lupini beans anyone?

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/28/14 2:03 pm

At the grocery store tonight I came across a can of Unico Lupini beans.  They have 3x the fiber and protein of almost any other bean.  A mere 1/2 cup has 22 g of protein and 13 g of fiber.  Seems like it could be a real power food for upping my protein and fiber but I haven't a clue what they taste like or how best to prepare them.  They seem to figure highly in Italian and Mediterranean cooking.  Wondering if anyone on the forum is familiar with them and how best to use them e.g. Would they work in bean salad, cooked in sauce, or can I blend them into recipes?

nancy P.
on 7/28/14 7:49 pm - windsor, Canada

All's you have to do is rinse and peel you can put them in your salad or eat just the way they are my favorite.

Nancy P
merry1
on 7/28/14 8:45 pm - Canada

Yes I have had Lupini beans and they are wonderful - I add them to my salads but I am sure one could make chili too.  They have a bit of a bitter taste.  If you buy them dried you need to google how you prepare them.  They need to be soaked for more than a day and they can be toxic if not.  Also broad beans and lima beans are good sources of protein.  They are also in the frozen foods section.  I have not seen Lupini beans frozen though.  I rather liked them but I would not go through soaking them etc. - haven't the time at all for that!!

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/29/14 3:52 am

Thankful for the chili suggestion.  I just made up my own lupini bean chili recipe.  

1 cup lupini beans

2/3 cup yves Italian ground round

1/3 cup pasta sauce

chli powder to taste.

It made 4 1/2 cup servings. Each with 120 cal, 17g protein, 8g fiber, 9g carb, 1g sugar and the best part is you just have to heat it up in the microwave cause everything that went in is already cooked.  Delish and super healthy.

merry1
on 7/31/14 7:04 am - Canada

Yikes, this sounds delicious, good going - I will add it to my book!!  Thanks so much!

Zavz
on 7/29/14 6:10 am - Canada

Thanks. I am going to try these as I am trying to move away from the fibre supplement. What is this about peeling them?

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/29/14 1:09 pm

Apparently you can either them either way.  Italians serve them as a snack food lightly salted and you bite the peel off similar to a pea pod.  The skins are fairly soft and can be eaten it's more about personal preference.  I' seriously considering trying them as my tv snack food.

Shiloh25
on 7/31/14 12:26 am - Kitchener, Canada

I grew up eating Lupini beans as a snack. Italian background here. LOL. I can eat them plain. I just pop them out of the shell and straight into my mouth :) Good to know they are a good source of protein for later though :)

Tina

Most Active
Recent Topics