Protein bars

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/4/14 12:55 pm

Someone posted asking about protein bars a week or so ago.  Since then 've been checking out some of the local offerings and found 2 that might be reasonable post RNY when you reach solids.  Available in chocolate chip and brownie versions.

One is called Quest bar and is available at Loblaws in the Atkins area.  190 calories per bar, 20 grams protein, 24 carbs ( of which a whopping 19 grams are fiber) sugar 5 grams which is within the limit set by my center (Ottawa).  I've tried the Quest while waiting in the ER with a friend and it sits well with my pouch.

The other one I noticed is made by Weider and available at Shopper's Drug Mart in the supplements/ health food section. It's called Puredelight 200 calories, 15g protein, 16 carbs, 4 grams sugar, 1 gram fiber. Again, it meets my center's 6 g sugar per serving restriction.

I'm not advocating either, but wanted to note that protein bars have come a long way and aren't all created equal.  They now seem to have some low sugar options that might be worth it occasionally ( camping, hiking, travelling, back-up in your purse etc.)

Patm
on 8/4/14 1:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Oh Yeah bars are very popular as well. I personally like the Pure Protein Bars from Costco. The sugar alcohols sometimes make me bloated but I find them handy when I am on the go. Had one this afternoon at the movies

KarenHope
on 8/4/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 04/15/13

I like the Premier Protein bars sold at Costco. I usually have one in my purse and my desk at work. I don't have them often but they are 30 g of protein, 3 g of fibre and 10 g of sugar. I usually only have half of one to get me through to the next meal if I get busy and don't have anything else handy. 

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Mary A.
on 8/6/14 6:04 am

I am 5 1/2 yrs post-op and still enjoy my protein bar for coffee break in the morning, because I don't eat breakfast so that and a banana and a pckg of plain oatmeal are what keeps me going through until 1:00 pm (lunchtime)

My absolute favourites are Zone Perfect, Pure Protein and now (Kind) which I bought on my last trip to the USA...while the protein isn't as high as most at 6 grams, the carbs are 16 with 7 from fiber and the sugars are ONLY 5 grams..

I usually stick to these kinds rather than some of the dryer tasting ones as this makes my brain think that I am having a chocolate bar and at 190 calories...that's not to bad.

I can't recall if I have had the brand you refere to...I have been eating them for almost 5 years..but I usually don't spend more than $2.00/bar when I travel to the USA SamsClub has my Zone Perfect  24 bars for $18.88...(but I don't recommend this brand for newbies)

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics