Vegetables

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/5/14 2:15 pm

I'm wondering when people started eating raw or less than mushed vegetables post RNY.  I've been over cooking and mushing for a while now but wanting to start salad type items greens, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, etc. I'm feeling as though I haven't had fresh produce in months and desperate to get back into that aisle.

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/14 9:39 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I am almost 4 months post op and can now eat fresher less mashed veggies.  I have been able to eat salads since week 7 post op.  As long as you can swallow them properly....

Kelly

Patm
on 8/5/14 11:23 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Carrots raw need to be chewed really well. The other items are softer so not as much of a problem.

Monica9811
on 8/5/14 11:25 pm - Peterborough, Canada

This time of year we eat a lot of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers with dinner. Asparagus is another favourite. I will eat a couple of bites of salad but not a lot. I make sure my protein is my first priority before I have the veggies. Usually I manage one slice of tomatoe and 2 slices of cucumber. 

NorthernStar
on 8/6/14 1:43 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I started eating raw fruits and veggies at about 6 weeks out. Be sure to chew very well and listen to your body. If something doesn't agree, forget it for now and try it later. The surgery guidebook by Sue Ekserci has a great list of fruit/veg to try first, they are listed in order of digestability so some good suggestions of what to try first.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

NewMe2.0
on 8/6/14 1:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

How far out are you again?  I forget.  I had my 9 week follow up last week and asked this very question.  I was told I could start adding, slowly...raw veggies to my diet in another couple of weeks (so 3 months post op). They explained it to me like this-- the opening to our new pouch is very small,  and salads are often not chewed as much as we think it is, and it can ball up and bruise our pouches or get stuck in the opening.  They recommended if we eat carrots, to shred them (like cheese), the same for broccoli and the like..(you can buy pre made shredded broccoli/carrot salads..)...I think tomatoes might be okay, because they usually just mush down, same for cuccumbers...

I too am craving fresh produce...and can't wait to make a greek type salad...

ps..I am through Guelph, and they seem to have stricter rules when it comes to eating and certain types of foods..

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Most Active
Recent Topics