Orientation - location issue

Sandra L.
on 8/25/14 10:09 am

So today I went from my home town to HRRH for my first Orientation.  It took me 2 hours to get to the appointment.   My GPS said it would take an hour.  I am so confused as to why I am being directed to HRRH for surgery when Guelph is only 35 minutes from where I live.   I know if I request a change at this point it could delay everything by 6 months.   At any rate I round the program super boring cause I had read at lot of info before plus I have 2 friends who have had the surgery one 5 years ago and another earlier this year.  The Nutritionist repeatedly said "I don't have that answer you will have to ask the surgeon"  What was the point of her doing the surgery part?  They say this new program is better.  When I went prior to 2010 for orientation the surgery part was done by a nurse who answered all kinds of questions, then the nutritionist talked about what we would eat and how much and she answered nutrition questions.  I think a lot of people left not knowing any more than what they did when they went in.

joeyanne
on 8/25/14 12:42 pm - Canada

I went to info session in Mar. and I found it very informative. She answered all our questions. Maybe they changed things or just had a bad speaker that day. The good thing is you read a lot and have friends to help. Now you can scratch orientation off your list. 

REF Nov 28/13. INFO Mar 10/14. SOHI Apr 11/14. R.N,DIETITIAN and DR GLAZIER Jun 23/14. SW Jul 17/14. SOHI Jul 25/14. SURGERY Oct 10/14

jennyboo202
on 8/26/14 12:53 am - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15

Hi Sandra - I was at the orientation as well.  I agree.  I didn't learn anything I didn't already know about the procedure etc. and found the speaker less than helpful.

I'm sure that you will be be able to be transferred to Guelph (I think I have read about others who have been transferred as well), though I think you will have to start the process over and attend another info session. 

Ref. Apr 30/14, Orientation HRRH Aug 25/14, Transfer to TWH Oct 21/14, Sleep Study Nov 20/14, SW Nov 28/14, Nut. Class Dec 8/14, NP Dec 15/14, Psych. Jan 13/15, Nut. Jan 15/15, CPAP Titra Jan 16/15, NP F/U Jan 19/15, NP F/U2 Feb 24/15, NP F/U3 Mar 24/15, Surgeon May 29/15, Opti July 25/15, Pre-Op July 30/15, Surgery Aug 14/15

sue2311
on 8/26/14 1:32 am - Canada

I thought I would be in Guelph also. The lady I talked to at the time told me I could transfer post-op to Guelph if I want to. I am having my surgery Sep 24 at HRRH. I will be switching when I can. I haven't been thrilled with the dietician at HRRH. I started seeing one here at home. Good luck with your journey.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/26/14 11:13 am - Windsor, Canada

Guelph has had extremely long backups the last few years.  That's more than likely why your location doesn't make sense to you. They had to shift the geographical boundaries in order to distribute patients a little more equally to different centres. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Sandra L.
on 8/26/14 2:03 pm

Might be the reason why.  Not a fan of the city at all.  I was so stressed by the time I got to the meeting.  I had a sleep study done in a big hospital in Mississauga and couldn't sleep the whole night was so stressed about being there. 

Most Active
Recent Topics