What did you buy for your Hosp. stay?

NewLife81
on 9/21/14 1:25 pm - St. Thomas, Canada

I'm trying to get everything ready ahead of time and I know there are some items I will need to buy for my stay in the hospital.  Some things I have on my list are:

House Coat, Slippers, new pair of 2 piece pj's...

But then I am coming up blank! Anyone have some items in particular that you bought? Is there some sort of packing list posted in the forum? I will be in Guelph which is almost 2 hrs away and I know my Mom can't stay at a hotel for the 3 or 4 days in the hospital... so I will be alone for most of my hospital stay. I just want to be prepared! 

Thanks! 

Guelph - Orientation: Feb 6, 2014 - First Appt w/ Nurse: April 23, 2014 - Social Work & Dietitian: April 30, 2014 - Nurse, Social Work & Dietitian: June 24, 2014 - Post Op Class: Sept 15, 2014 - Surgeon Appt: Oct 15, 2014 - Optifast Start Date: Nov 21, 2014 - Pre Op : Dec 1, 2014 - Surgery Date: Dec 12, 2014 (Dr. Jules Foute-Nelong)

Start Weight: 384lbs   Current Weight: 312.6lbs  Surgery Weight: 346.9lbs  Amount Lost: 72lbs

pegawatt
on 9/21/14 1:42 pm - Canada

I always need chapstick for the dry air, baby wipes are nice to have, brought my cell phone, ipod and rented a tv.Been in the hospital many times and those were a must. My throat was very sore after being intubated and I brought Strepsils which I gave some to my roommate who was really suffering also.

tg2013
on 9/21/14 7:26 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I made sure I brought my tablet and cell phones with the chargers ( don't forget headphones )  I also brought a small power bar, the plugs are far away from the bed and I found the cords for my devices were too short to reach when they needed to be charged. I brought some sugar free hard candy for my throat. Don't forget  your toothbrush /toothpaste, hair brush, deodorant and a change of clothes to go home in   In Ottawa they did not have decafe tea so I brought some with me.  Some people will bring a book or Magazine  but I found I was too beat up to read or even watch TV.  I just listened to my music I had on my tablet and on my phone

Best of luck

Monica M.
on 9/21/14 11:08 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

dont bother with pjs. you can wear the hospital gowns, that way if you bleed or throw up or anything (not that you will) it'll be on their stuff, not yours. ALso, pjs are difficult if you've got an IV in. I also didnt like anything on my stomach for that first few days. BOOKS, magazines, ipod. You don't need a housecoat, either, just put a gown on backwards.

Karen M.
on 9/21/14 11:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything other than a good pair of easy-slip-on slippers with a good sole to prevent slipping/tripping. I wouldn't bring my own pjs or robe - no need. Just wear hospital stuff and keep your own stuff clean. I was pretty wiped out so didn'****ch TV or read (couldn't concentrate). Technology has greatly changed since I had my surgery 8.5 years ago - NOW I would make sure I had my iPhone with all my fav apps, a charger, and the usual "hospital stay stuff": hair brush, tooth brush/paste, lip balm, glasses, etc. Don't over-buy stuff you likely won't use.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

NewMe2.0
on 9/22/14 12:31 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I went through Guelph, and if you have semi private coverage your t.v. is free.  (I didn't even turn mine on as I had some minor complications at the start).  I agree with the other posters, you don't really need to bring much- I brought pjs etc, but found wearing the hospital gown was easier.  Good slip on shoes for walking, earplugs, ipod or similar with earphones, cream, chapstick, pads (a lot of women get their period after anesthesia), toothbrush and a pillow. Good luck with everything...who is your surgeon?

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Solstice
on 9/22/14 5:43 am
RNY on 11/27/14

TV service is free at Guelph? Wow, that maybe makes up for the cost of parking!

NewLife81
on 9/22/14 11:31 am - St. Thomas, Canada

Awesome! I don't see many people from Guelph!  I don't know who my surgeon is yet. I was told mid to late October is when I would most likely meet my surgeon!  I just don't drive and live in a smaller city with know Penningtons or Addition Elle unless I go with someone to another city to shop... I just wanted to make sure I am prepared! Who was your surgeon? 

Guelph - Orientation: Feb 6, 2014 - First Appt w/ Nurse: April 23, 2014 - Social Work & Dietitian: April 30, 2014 - Nurse, Social Work & Dietitian: June 24, 2014 - Post Op Class: Sept 15, 2014 - Surgeon Appt: Oct 15, 2014 - Optifast Start Date: Nov 21, 2014 - Pre Op : Dec 1, 2014 - Surgery Date: Dec 12, 2014 (Dr. Jules Foute-Nelong)

Start Weight: 384lbs   Current Weight: 312.6lbs  Surgery Weight: 346.9lbs  Amount Lost: 72lbs

Solstice
on 9/22/14 11:31 pm, edited 9/22/14 11:32 pm
RNY on 11/27/14

Hey,

I am going through Guelph, just waiting for the appt to see the surgeon. Were you at the class at Guelph on Sept 8? I work in London, but live in a teeny town as well. Did you get a call to meet the surgeon yet? I know a woman in that class who did, and I have not yet. Sad face!

C

NewLife81
on 9/24/14 3:27 pm - St. Thomas, Canada

My class was Sept 15th! And no call for the surgeon yet! I really hope to hear soon! Were you in the Sept 8 class with the other lady? You will probably get a call any day now! I know they have to schedule Windsor patients too! My sister is going for her Orientation in Windsor on Nov 13th! 

Let me know when you get your appointment!! Its so exciting but i find there is so much to do! Lol

Most Active
Recent Topics