Post Surgery Questions

msmuggins
on 10/8/14 12:37 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Hi Everyone,  I'm scheduled for surgery in January 2015, and while I'm looking forward to it and am committed to having the surgery, I'm also a bit nervous about the immediate post-op period because I have never had surgery before in my life.  I live alone and have arranged to have a friend stay with me for the three days after I return from the hospital -- for those who have been through an RNY, is this enough time for supervision?  Also, in terms of mobility, I know we are encouraged to walk a lot after surgery, and I know we aren't supposed to do any heavy lifting, but I'm hoping someone who has had the surgery can give me an idea of my mobility restrictions in the post -op period (i.e., the first week or so).  I'm assuming I'll be able to dress myself?  Get in and out of bed on my own?  I had wanted to discuss this at my surgeon's appointment but unfortunately that day was a bit rushed (the nurse told me someone had scheduled twice the amount of patients as usual) and I was seen by a resident who was obviously very busy and wanted to get on to the next person, so I had a limited amount of time to ask questions beyond some concerns about complications that I discussed with him.   I can (and likely will) follow up with the program on these questions because I'd rather not have any surprises that can be avoided, but I thought I'd also ask the vets who have been through this to share their experience.

Thanks in advance for your help!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Catw
on 10/8/14 12:43 am - Arnprior, Canada

For each person the healing time is different.  The 3 days may be fine for you, but it will be a wait and see.  You should be fairly mobile, not walking marathons, but able to walk around the house, stairs are slow and if you can stay on one floor it's a bonus (I didn't have that option).  You will not be able to sit straight up in bed, but you can get in and out of bed on your own, you'll be taught how.  Getting dressed yourself shouldn't be an issue, just dress comfortably.

Cathy

msmuggins
on 10/8/14 2:17 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks, Cat.  I really appreciate your input.  I'm trying to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  It's particularly challenging when you live on your own (and my family is all located out west). 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 2:42 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi there,

Congrats on getting your date! You must be getting excited to get this all going.

As far as recovery - agree with Cathy that it really is individual. However, after being in the hospital for a couple of days and then having your friend stay with you for a couple of days - you should be JUST FINE. Not gonna lie, the first few days I felt pretty rough (I do believe I compared it to being run over by a Mack truck, but I digress....). Upon release, I spent 2 days at my parents' home which really was great, having a little extra help. By the end of the second day there, I was stir-crazy and pretty much couldn't wait to go home (sorry mom and dad lol).

You will find that you are better every single day - able to move more, a little faster, a lot less pain. Let your friend help you - no need to be a hero at this point. Helping you prepare your meals/shakes/supplements/etc. will be a big help. Take any pain meds prescribed to you when needed - don't let the pain "get ahead of you", it's much harder to ease once you're actually in a fair amount of pain. Stay on top of it.

You will be able to dress yourself, attend to personal needs, walk (with care) up/down stairs as needed. Rest when you need to, walk when you can, sip water constantly.

Good luck!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

msmuggins
on 10/8/14 3:07 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks for your words of encouragement, Karen!  You give so much to the forum and to those of us who are making our way through this challenging journey.  It's a relief to hear from vets who have been through this before and are willing to share their knowledge and experience, because it's a bit scary on this side of it, even though I've done a lot of research and reading.  I just don't really know how I'm going to feel and that kind of scares me.  I'm also used to being able to do everything myself, so it's really hard for me to ask for help.  Thankfully I have some amazing friends who have been very supportive and one in particular who is going to sacrifice her vacation time to be with me for those first few days.  I've got a Scottish Terrier, and my friend has already agreed to take on the worst part of the daily morning walks:  the dreaded poop-and-scoop!  

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 3:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

You sound much like me (sorry! lol) - independent, don't like to ask for help, the list goes on. Seriously, suck that up and really let your friend give you a hand (and thank gawd for the poop and scoop duty (doodie)!). Take the walks with them - it'll get you out in the fresh air and moving. Don't pu**** but walk a little with them. 

I had never had surgery either when I had RNY 8 1/2 years ago. I was most afraid of the post-op pain more than anything and honestly, it was nothing that I could not handle.

Wishing you the very best!

K. :)

Karen

msmuggins
on 10/8/14 3:33 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks, Karen... I'll try to remember your post when I'm tempted to try to do everything myself!  It will be hard (although, if I feel like a Mack truck ha**** me, perhaps not as hard as I think!). 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 3:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

Oh, one other little suggestion: Before your friend leaves you to your own devices, have them help you set up a week's worth of meals/vitamins/shakes, etc. That way it's done and you don't need to worry about doing it. Also, while your friend is still there, try to do things on your own. That way, if you need help, it's there. If not, victory for you!

K. :)

Karen

TheNewT
on 10/8/14 4:39 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I was sleeping on my side in the hospital and on my tummy when I got home. I walked a lot. It started slowly, but the pace picked up. My pain level never got over a 6 (dull pain) so I took 3 pain pills when I left the hospital (one each night Thursday through Saturday). Then the pills made me feel worse (nausea) so I just stopped. I drove myself to my first appointment with the surgeon. Driving was no problem. The hospital gave me a lifting limit of 8 pounds and I followed that rule.

I was dressing myself in the hospital. Showering without help. Now after the shower I would be so exhausted. This improved once I moved past the liquid phase of the meal plan.

I've had other surgeries (gall bladder and C-section). Let me say the C-section was the worst out of the three. This surgery was a piece of cake in comparison.

Hope this helps!

Daisy_does_it
on 10/8/14 5:27 am - Scarborough, Canada

I'm certainly no vet (surgery was one week ago), however I think you will be just fine.  This was my first surgery so I wasn't sure what to expect and was a little nervous when they released me 24 hours post-surgery.  The nurses will show you techniques for mobility and it gets easier each day.  Truthfully, the only time I needed help was when I dropped something by accident.  In terms of dressing, I loved my cotton maxi dresses.  Very loose and comfortable (and easy to get on/off).  I recommend leaving anything you need at comfortable reaching level prior to surgery to avoid stretching/bending movements.  Don't stress...it will be manageable!  Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics