Revision

merry1
on 10/15/14 3:19 am - Canada

Ive heard many people talk about having a revision.  What exactly is it?  I am wondering because my weight loss stopped about 20 pounds short of my goal.  I am 1 year and 4 months post op.  I doubt I would qualify for another surgery so soon.  I am over the top happy with my weight loss but don't understand why I consume so little, exercise a lot and remain basically the same weight.  I don't want to sound like im complaining or disappointed because im not, im just wondering...

kimber291
on 10/15/14 3:23 am, edited 10/15/14 3:24 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

If you already had the RNY then your not able to have a revision. The revision is for persons that have had the lap band or the gastric sleeve...As far as I know.

Sounds like you need to go back to basics and kick start your weightloss. Also if your working out you probably have to eat more protein!  Have you seen the dietician and nurse etc at your center? That would probably be a.good place to start :-)  good luck!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Karen M.
on 10/15/14 3:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

Actually, that is not true.

RNY can be completely taken down and your parts put back where they were, they can then be revised to Duodenal Switch, VSG, and some people have even had a lap band placed over their RNY (called band-over-bypass - BOB).

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kimber291
on 10/15/14 4:00 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Wow really? When I attended an orientation 2.5 weeks ago at Humber with my cousin,  someone had asked if it could be reversed or a revision done and they were told no. That once it's done it's done. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

Karen M.
on 10/15/14 4:06 am, edited 10/15/14 4:07 am - Mississauga, Canada

What they meant was, NO you cannot suddenly change your mind in a couple of months because you are finding it hard and expect us to go in and put you back together.

YES, really.

Karen

Karen

kimber291
on 10/15/14 5:24 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

It wasn't asked in that sense. But thanks for clearing it up

Referral - Oct 29/13

Karen M.
on 10/15/14 5:42 am - Mississauga, Canada

Of course it wasn't. Their point in saying that is so people understand that committing to surgery means committing to it for life, not going into it thinking a take-down or revision is a back-up plan in case things don't work out. (Believe it or not, that does happen)

I know of 5 people on this Ontario forum alone who have had or are waiting for a revision. OH has a very busy Revision Forum - you would be surprised how many folks require one.

Karen

kimber291
on 10/15/14 6:49 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

We are so lucky to have you here Karen. You and all the vets that are packed full of information. I hope you all realize how thankful. We are to have you here. :-)

Referral - Oct 29/13

merry1
on 10/15/14 8:09 am - Canada

Thanks so much, although I still don't understand why they want a revision, is it because there is something wrong with the first surgery they had?  Also I think you're right, it would be a good idea to have a nuturitionist look over things.  I am on my fitness pal right now and try hard to keep up with it.  I eat 12to1500 cal per day and sometimes less.  I recently got a pedometer and trying hard to do 10k steps.  I am finding that is about 2 hrs of walking. I am up to usually around 7-8k (steps).  the weather is getting inconvenient for walking so I am going to do my tony little gazelle, we also have a swimming pool In the building and a fitness room.  its so much easier to walk for an hour outside with the dog though - o well spring is around the corner!  Karen, I was going to come to Tim's tonight but I am coming down with something so will have to come next month!

Karen M.
on 10/16/14 12:19 am - Mississauga, Canada

The "last 20" is the slowest, most difficult. As I've said I didn't get to my (then) lowest weight until into my third year post-op. I just kept following my surgeon's plan and had faith and it happened. I knew this was for life and weight loss, as with everything else in life, doesn't happen on a set timeline.

Mechanical failure is most often the reason for a revision, those whose bodies don't lose enough and start to regain through no fault of their own, the addition of a malabsporptive component to their original surgery... all reasons.

Karen

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics