Time off work post op

Susan40
on 10/20/14 7:12 pm - Canada

How much time do most people get off after gastric bypass? 

Franny1977
on 10/20/14 8:28 pm - Canada

I asked for max 2 weeks

Franny1977
on 10/20/14 11:08 pm - Canada

Am sorry 6 weeks

Karen M.
on 10/20/14 8:35 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I was off for 2 weeks and felt very physically ready to return at that point. The required activity level of your job should be taken into account and your body's recovery rate - everyone heals differently.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/14 2:33 am, edited 10/21/14 2:38 am

Karen, sorry this is off topic, but I live in FL US and read quite a few of the blogs from Canadians. Since you are a long time poster and have been successful keeping off your weight,  may I ask if the reason the process for WLS takes so long there is because it will be paid by the government?  Here, we either have insurance that covers WLS or self pay, usually in Mexico, or die from obesity related illnesses. 

Karen M.
on 10/21/14 5:12 am, edited 10/21/14 5:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hiya :)

The time varies greatly between provinces. Here in Ontario our health system (OHIP) fully funds weight loss surgery (except for the lap band, that is self-pay). Just over 5 years ago they implemented a Bariatric Registry that coordinates all of the hopeful pre-ops and assigns them to a regional Bariatric Centre where they are required to fulfil several clearances from medical professionals prior to receiving final approval for surgery (surgeon, nurse, internist, dietician/nutritionist, psych/social work, etc.). ( This process did not exist 9 years ago when I was a hopeful pre-op, there were other steps. )Included in "the process" is a 5 year follow-up plan with these medical professionals as well.

For some, who don't have to have a lot of additional testing/clearances, the time can be as short as 7 months from orientation to surgery. For others, it can take up to almost 2 years. It all depends on the personal requirements AND there is a little luck involved too at times. Citizens have the option of self-pay if they go out of the country (to the US or Mexico as an example) or even out of province (to Quebec at this point), but cannot self-pay in our own province.

Karen

Edited to add: Keep in mind that in Canada our healthcare insurance is government funded and regulated. Everyone has equal access, funding is through our tax dollars. Many people have additional private health insurance that is usually included in their benefit package through their employer. This type of insurance covers things like prescriptions, dental, other assorted services, based on what the employer chooses to include in their group benefits.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/14 8:28 am

Thank you.

1HealthyMomma
on 10/20/14 10:00 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I'm off for 6 weeks because I have a physically demanding job. It's  great because that  will give me time to get a good solid routine in place and all my energy back. I think it really  depends on what do at work. 

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Patm
on 10/20/14 11:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was off for 4 weeks. I was glad for the time to get my eating stable before having to think about taking lunches and snacks to work. I have an office job so not physically demanding.

Jiliana2
on 10/20/14 11:27 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

It is standard practice here in Ottawa to ask for 4 weeks, minimum. Physically demanding jobs require more like 6 weeks off.

I have an office job, so not very demanding. But it took me a good two weeks to be able to stay awake all day and not need a nap. And after that I needed some time to sort out meals and supplements and how exactly to get my protein in while at work. It takes a bit of learning so I'm glad I had that time to get myself sorted.

Again, everyone is different and every centre is different. Talk to your centre and ask what they recommend and/or what their standards might be.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics