I was rejected - I'm devastated, but I'll be ok

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/21/14 12:08 pm - Windsor, Canada

I talked with a friend that works for one of the centres in Ontario.  She said this is nothing new and that the mandatE for  Ontario requirements do suggest that every person must have tried SOMETHING To lose weight in their life before putting their body on an operating room table.  Here in windsor I know of a few that have been put through our eating disorder program here prior to be accepted for surgery and many also do Craving Change, weigh****chers etc. 

If You have never done any Dieting of any kind under the guidance of a professional that will be suggested first.  They will want you to learn to understand protein and carbs and food labels so that anyone who can will avoid major surgery that may not be needed. 

Trying a week here or there at home on your own may not be enough.  A structured programs oils always be suggested first. The Ontario guidelines for the clinics say a client must have tried to lose weight by some means under professional care at some point in their lives. 

I wish you well and hope that you can find some support with successful weight loss

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Onward and
Downward

on 10/21/14 9:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I love this idea of telling morbidly obese people to go away and try a bunch of diets that they know statistically don't work, then come back once you've yo-yoed and made yourself six months to a year unhealthier. Lifesaving surgery denied due to a refusal to see obesity through a science-based lens.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Onward and
Downward

on 10/21/14 9:17 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Oh, it's Guelph! I just realized that from reading a post on page 2 that I hadn't seen previous to posting my post above. Well, that explains everything if it was Guelph. Hey, maybe they can sign you up for their Opti crash fad diet thing, watch you lose a bunch of weight and then gain it all back again once you go off the stuff, just like every other fad diet, and then they'll be ready to take you for surgery.

Personally, I'd ask to change centres.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

PepperBB
on 10/22/14 12:25 am - Canada

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I have already had surgery and when I was doing the post referral stages, my MD and I looked at all the "healthy" changes and things I did in my life, I went to the gym for years before and have always been very active (no car), I also did eat pretty healthy/

have a piece of advice, please feel to take it or not. Take a step back, what they want to see is that you are willing to make changes in your life. Being about a week out of a year from surgery, my life has drastically changed around food and portion control, as you can see from the posts of "what are you eating, what are you doing", these posts are so helpful, and the ladies who monitor it, are fantastic.

Do not get your self down, this is not the end for you, prove to them that this is not your life, but only a part of your life. Do not let this get you down, push back and make them see that you are trying and that you are making the changes.

Good Luck! You will get there!

Not gonna lie, wonderland was one of my goals as well. It will be a great feeling for  you too. Keep up to date with the people on here, its gonna work out for you.

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

DeanyaMarie
on 10/24/14 7:57 am

I started my journey in may. My surgeon said my insurance required 6 months of documentation which his practice provided with scheduled visits with his team of nutritionists. I found out today I'm approved for my 11/11 surgery. I was worried since I did very well & have already lost 38lbs. But these 6 months have allowed me to mentally prepare & practice my new diet. I feel I will succeed since I've committed to the change the last few months. I see my surgeon one more time & get my pre admission testing. Feels great to have made it. The time flew by. You can do it. It's just the hoops we must jump through to prove we are ready to change.

sadgirl89
on 10/30/14 2:04 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that :( 

I went to The Wharton Medical Clinic and they referred me after 6 months of being with them... It's covered by OHIP  try them out... I know 6 months seems like a really long time but it will go by before you know it.

Cheer up love

Most Active
Recent Topics