21 months out and need help

MadMax1010
on 11/11/14 5:30 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Hi, am wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing the same problem. I was sat at 10lb below goal for a good six months, now the weight it slowly creeping back up, as of this morning it's 7 lbs. I am petrified that one morning I will wake up and it will be 70 lbs.

I would appreciate any help from the vets or anyone else that has found something that helps, my old habits have started to creep back into my life and I can't tell you how scared I am.

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 6:41 am, edited 11/11/14 6:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

It sounds like you know what the problem is already - old habits have started to creep back into my life, in your words. Reaching "goal" does not mean upping calories, eating what we want, testing the waters, etc. (Well, it could and does for some, what I mean is not for ME)

I can only tell you what works for me (8.5 years post-op, start weight 290, current weight 120):

1) Planning is key. Plan your meals daily and write them down/record on an online source such as myfitnesspal.com and consider joining in the daily "what are you eating" thread here on this forum. This will keep you organized and accountable.

2) While recording, myfitnesspal.com will show you how much, how many, all the info you need to keep yourself on track. This means a continuation of at least 70g of protein per day (more if needed), keeping your carbs low (around 30g to lose, body-dependant to maintain, you'll have to see for yourself), NO refined sugar, try to stick to healthy fats.

3) Ensure you are getting enough fluids either through water, shakes, tea, coffee, whatever you choose. Do not, however, drink calories by "juicing" or the like.

We must continue to eat mindfully - not just when losing, but forever.

Good luck,

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MadMax1010
on 11/11/14 7:05 am, edited 11/11/14 7:05 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Thank you Karen, your right and yes I have not stopped using MFP, just not been as honest with myself as I should. It's nice to see that people do have long term success, I fully intend to be one of those :)

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 7:07 am - Mississauga, Canada

It is sooooo easy to be just the tiniest bit dishonest, isn't it. I think we all do silly-ass things like that at some point. lol

I'm happy to help if you have further questions, etc. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MadMax1010
on 11/11/14 7:10 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Thank you! I am sure I will take you up on that in the future.

Lori_Lee
on 11/14/14 12:53 am - Canada

HI Mad Max - I am in a similar boat... not gained but not happy with my habits creaping in.... and scared, very scard.

I too had tracked on MFP and was a 265 days - when I lost one day I lost my records and some motivation.  But, I was not honest in my counting for the past few months.

So, I am with you in the same boat - pass a paddle and we can travel together :)  I am going back to MFP - can you add me or can I add you? Lorileesmiles

Cheers,

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

MadMax1010
on 11/16/14 6:42 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Friend request sent! :)

birdiegirl
on 11/16/14 6:38 pm, edited 11/16/14 6:39 pm

I would like to add a few more things

Calories DO matter.  find your sweet spot for maintenance and stick to it.  My sweet spot to maintain is 1500 with  my current activity level.  Yours may be higher or lower.  Get this sorted out so you can track.

I eat more then 70 grams of protein per day.  Its what fill me and I rely on dense protein to keep me going.  If  nighttime snacking is your issue - work one thing into your day and that's your night time snack.  My current snack  is an 80 Calorie Greek yogurt with 1 TB of low fat granola for crunch.  I look forward to it and its a 100 calorie treat that doesnt blow my goals out of the water and gives me some nutritional value.

Watch crackers!  or "snap pea crisps" etc etc.  It's very difficult to limit your amounts of salty crunchy things and you can begin to crave them.

You will have to "white knuckel" a few days to get excess carbs/sugar out of your system.  BUT - the mental lift in taking control back is a wonderful reward.

Don't be like me - I became a smarty pants between years 2 and 3 and thought I could eat bagels and crackers and sweets - in moderation.  I put 30 pounds on fast.  I stopped the gaining after year 3 and sat at the same weight for over a year before getting back on the bandwagon.    You really get "diet" fatigue....however I am determined to get this regain OFF...and maybe even a few more pounds for safekeeping

Get going on this now

White Dove
on 11/16/14 7:04 pm - Warren, OH

It is called bounceback regain.  While we all vow we will never let it happen to us, it is really the body's way of healing from the surgery.  Your body knows that it has been starved and it finding better ways of holding onto the calories that it is being given.

The only way to stop the regain is to start counting calories.  You need roughly 10 calories a day to maintain one pound of weight.  I maintain 136 pounds at 1400 calories a day.  To lose one pound a week, I cut 500 calories a day.  This is hard.  To lose seven pounds, I need to eat 900 calories a day for seven weeks. 

I was seven years out in October.  After the initial honeymoon period, only calorie counting keeps me at my goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MadMax1010
on 11/19/14 10:45 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

Thank you for all your advice, I am going back to basic's and am already down a couple of pounds, voicing my concerns really brought it home to me what I needed to do, thank you all :)

Most Active
Recent Topics