Let's talk alcohol....

Catw
on 12/29/14 8:42 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Any alcohol will hit hard.  When I had my first drink, it was less than half a glass of wine.  I didn't dump, but it hit fast.  With RNY surgery, the alcohol will not stay in your stomach long enough for your stomach to absorb any of  it, so your liver will have to deal with all of it.  Because of it being the first time, I highly recommend your first drink be at home.

There is a line of wine that is out called Skinny Grape, it's 80 calories per glass. I don't remember the exact sugar content.  As for liquor and mixers, if you are using juices, they are usually higher in sugar.  If you are using pop (even diet) you have to watch the carbonation, caffeine, and acid in them (which ones depend on what you are using).

If you want something special, you could look at Mocktail recipes, or Crystal Light has Margarita, Mojito and Apple Martini mixes.  (I like margaritas and Mojitos myself.)  It's not alcohol, but it's different.  If you use with ice, you can probably go by the directions, but when I don't use ice, I have to add more water.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 12/29/14 9:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I'm not an alcohol naysayer but I will say this: with every sip of alcohol you take you are assaulting your liver that is already working triple-time post-surgery. Proceed with caution. I found out the hard way.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 12/29/14 10:41 pm - Toronto, Canada

Booze can be a slippery slope. Stick to one on NYE and then none again for the rest of your first year. Drink slow.

I made the mistake of drinking too soon, and I made a complete fool of myself. And i'm the most ridiculous drunk off a half a glass of wine (still...almost four years out). I will sing you any broadway tune and then fall asleep. 

Anyhow, as Karen said each drop of booze is taxing to your liver (more so than people with regular guts), so please use caution. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/14 10:56 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Not sure if you plan on having this NYE drink at home or at a party but if you are not at home, I'd be having a small test drink tonight before doing it anywhere else tomorrow night.  The first one I had post op hit me like a ton of bricks and it was only an ounce. I sobered up fast and was able to drink the rest but still it hit me hard as it has many others. Dry wine or vodka and low sugar mixer are good ones but for a first one since surgery, I'd still want it to be at home.  Just be careful and go slow and stop if you feel like it'****ting you too hard as it goes from tipsy to all out drunk very fast and next thing you know, you may be ready to sleep.

Most Active
Recent Topics