Let's talk alcohol....

Blueiiis
on 12/29/14 8:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Yes, yes, I know, booze is a big no-no the first year.  Got it. No need to lecture.  

however, with NYE fast approaching, I wouldn't mind having a glass of something to celebrate the new year. I am not a huge drinker to begin with, and my go-to girly drinks have way too much sugar in them to ever consume again.

Question - for those who do have a drink now and again, what do you recommend? I have about an ounce of raspbery vodka that I could mix with water.... There is no sugar content on the label though.  I have seen Skinny Girl wine products? No carbonation, no sugar,  what's a girl to do?

NorthernStar
on 12/29/14 9:11 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

As a disclaimer, I highly recommend for everyone to follow their centre's rules which is likely no alcohol for 6 months to a year. You don't need the extra calories while you're losing, and you don't need the pressure on your liver while it is busy helping you lose. I did not try alcohol until 7 months out; a single glass of red wine and I did not drink again until 15 months out. It will hit you hard. For you, I do recommend skipping the drinks this NYE. You don't need booze to have a good time!

That said, for anyone looking to enjoy a drink on a special occassion it's easy to watch your calories. A glass of wine is a decent choice, as is a liquor with a calorie-free mixer (think rum and diet coke or making a ****tail with crystal light). Watch the calories in your drinks, folks. My sister works at a restaurant known for its frozen drinks. I looked up the stats on some of those drinks - one has 600 calories! YIKES!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

sellarsgal
on 12/29/14 9:15 am - Oshawa, Canada

If you are looking for a low cal drink you could always have vodka and tomato juice/clamato, 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Blueiiis
on 12/29/14 9:20 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Yes! Ceaser's - now why didn't I think of that? 

Thanks!

Onward and
Downward

on 12/29/14 8:07 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I would be careful with this, though - there is a bit of a sugar hit in clamato juice - 10 grams of sugar per cup and 12 grams of carbohydrates total.  Plus whatever is in the alcohol.  Basically, clamato juice is a fruit juice. If you are prone to dumping, this could trigger it since the sugar is in liquid format and may hit your system quickly.

Here's the nutrition info I found: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/motts-clamato-juic e-corrected-34475707

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Patm
on 12/29/14 9:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

All alcohol has calories but one drink will not make a huge difference. Just understand that it may hit you like a ton of bricks. It is usually best to try at home

Sassy75
on 12/29/14 10:58 am - North York, Canada

Hello my surgery twin, 

so so when I went for my 3 month appointment last week (it was actually 4 months but late appointment) I asked about a glass of wine or a drink or two and the nurse said if it wa a one time thing, it would be fine just don't make it a daily event. Being as we both went thru TWH, I think you are good to have a drink.... What to drink, I have no idea :)

Surgery date August 11, 2014 gastric sleeve with Dr. Rotstein at St.Mike's

starting weight 309 4 months out 237

Blueiiis
on 12/29/14 11:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Yes! That is great news - thanks for posting 😊

Nanato2
on 12/29/14 7:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I see no reason why you could not have a drink on NYE.

I waited till over a year out because my centre highly recommend. When I did have a drink I tried wine because I was a big wine drinker prior to surgery but found half a glass of wine and I am sleeping same thing still happens and I am two years out. What I do drink is vodka and diet cranberry juice I can have a couple of these with no issues.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Onward and
Downward

on 12/29/14 8:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

My centre said to wait until 6 months out, so that's what I did. Then I found that red wine didn't make me dump - but it doe**** me pretty hard. One glass of wine and I'm quite tipsy. Two glasses of wine and I'm drunk. Three glasses of wine and I'm totally sloshed. (I used to be able to hold my liquor quite well, so that's a huge change for me!)  The problem is, after two glasses of wine, my judgement goes out the window and it's pretty hard to resist that third glass if it's available.  So I'm actually thinking about teetotalling for a while, just to get my head out of the space that you have to have a drink in your hand to socialize, and try to get creative about non-alcoholic drinks like teas and coffees when I'm out.

So, anyhow, the short answer is: post-op, my drink of choice has been red wine, at the time my centre said I could. But do it sparingly! :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics