Started a blog - I want to hear from you!

suzygreenberg
on 1/28/15 8:24 am - Canada

Hi everyone - I thought I'd start a blog to share my journey but also get to know others like me.  Come visit http://shakesandspanx.blogspot.ca/.  

Do you have a blog?  If so, I'd love to visit yours too.  Feel free to comment here or on the blog with your address.  

Thanks!!

lyshy
on 1/31/15 3:48 am, edited 1/31/15 3:49 am - Canada

Read your blog.....looks good!

u wrote about finding alternatives to birth coltrol and NSIDS....but u didn't say what those surprising options are. What are they?   Both are a concern for me.....

Guelph - Referral: August '14. Orientation: Oct 23/14. Nurse: Nov 26/14. Dietician/SW: Dec 12/14. Nurse 2/Dietician 2: Jan 20/15. SW 2: Jan 30/15 CLEARED by all 3! Feb '15: H Pylori testing.  Pre-surgery nutrition class: Mar 23/15.  Meet surgeon: May 22/15 with Dr.Reed   Surgeon Appt #2: June 16/15.  Surgery date: Aug 20/15.

suzygreenberg
on 1/31/15 4:20 am - Canada

Hi lyshy, thanks so much!  

Instead of NSAIDs:

My doctor recommended I first try Tylenol 3s - I've tried Tylenol 1s in the past and they were no use for me, but he said normally that is what he'd give any other patient.  I've been on daily migraine prevention meds for years now and use extra strength ibuprofen just to lessen the severity when I do get them.  If the T3s don't work, he said we can move on to other options, but it will be a series of trial and error experiments unfortunately. 

Alternatives to oral birth control:

There are actually quite a lot of effective alternatives, all depending on your comfort level, your health status, and what you use it for. 

Here are the ones that he offered with my personal opinion of them:

1) Mirena (intra-uterine device) - Pro: stays in you for up to five years, Con: Cannot use tampons while the IUD is inserted

2) Depo-Provera (injection 4 times a year) - Pro: Only get your period 4 times a year!!, Con: You have a one week window to get to your doctor to receive your injection, could be difficult for myself as I travel a lot for work and finding time for appointments is difficult as it is right now

3) Nuva-ring (ring inserted for 3 weeks at a time) - Pro: Do not have to remember to take pills or go to the doctor to have it inserted, Con: Not so keen on the logistics of it all 

4) Evra (Patch worn for 3 weeks at a time) - Pro: Non-invasive and flexible to stick anywhere on your buttock, abdomen, upper torso, or outside of your upper arm, Con: None that I can tell

I'm most likely going to go with Evra, but I'll talk to my doctor first just to be sure.  

Hope this helps, I'll be sure to update my blog with this info, thanks for pointing that out :) 

Have a great weekend! 

I'm blogging about my journey, in the only way I know how to - with a lot of humour and a little potty mouth

shakesandspanx.blogspot.ca

lyshy
on 1/31/15 9:34 pm - Canada

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Here's some stuff I've heard:

T3 do not help me at all with my hip arthritis.  Hopefully it works for your migraines.

My clinic RN & nurse said the shot injection side effect includes weight gain so seems counter productive to this process.  A friend of mine believes it also screwed up her metabolism. After prolonged use.  So I'll need to research that more.

The clinic RN said options that are inserted internally may not be as practical as large amounts of weight are loss as the device can slip & slide as "parts" become smaller. Hmmmmm not sure about that.

The clinic RN didn't seem too keen on the patch bc she wasn't sure off hand what BMI's it is effective for.  Too much fatty skin to get through?  Not sure...

I certainly don't think there is an easy answer :(

Guelph - Referral: August '14. Orientation: Oct 23/14. Nurse: Nov 26/14. Dietician/SW: Dec 12/14. Nurse 2/Dietician 2: Jan 20/15. SW 2: Jan 30/15 CLEARED by all 3! Feb '15: H Pylori testing.  Pre-surgery nutrition class: Mar 23/15.  Meet surgeon: May 22/15 with Dr.Reed   Surgeon Appt #2: June 16/15.  Surgery date: Aug 20/15.

suzygreenberg
on 2/1/15 12:34 am - Canada

I never thought about the whole 'parts become smaller' thing, thanks lol.  My doctor said the patch wouldn't be a problem for me with the BMI thing (currently at 40), but I guess it's all worth a try and see what works.  Thanks again!

I'm blogging about my journey, in the only way I know how to - with a lot of humour and a little potty mouth

shakesandspanx.blogspot.ca

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/15 12:52 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Evra's site says you must be under 198 lbs for it to work.  Also after WLS, you should be using 2 methods of birth control, one being a barrier method.

Can_Lil_Saint
on 2/11/15 1:55 am - Georgetown, Canada

I have been lurking LOL Feel free to lurk on mine.  I am not the 20's something that you are looking for but I rarely sugar coat it.

Tales of a Tiny Tummy

http://aforkknifeandpoon.blogspot.ca/

Most Active
Recent Topics