Loose skin.

Hissy1
on 2/27/15 1:05 am - Canada

Hi everyone.  I'm new here and wanted to ask a question.  First about where I'm at. I've gone thru my trio and meeting the surgeon. All that's left is surgery. The problem is I'm scared.  

Now onto my question. Does everyone have a lot of loose skin?  Is there a way to prevent this?  Call me vain but I don't want to have to tuck it in or have all this wrinkly loose stuff.   Please help!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/15 2:17 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

I think it depends on your body type.  I lift weights, do yoga and toning exercises.  It helps, but at the end of the process you may need plastic surgery....depends...everyone is different.

It is normal to be scared, I think everyone was a little pre surgery.  All I can say is this was the best decision of my life and I have no regrets.

Kelly

Delicious_Delilah
on 2/27/15 2:22 am - Ottawa, Canada

Rather the loose skin than the alternative.  As previous post said, everyone is different.  Depends on how damaged your skin is (stretch marks means it won't snap back), your age, your body shape/type.  Exercise can help with shape a little, giving you some tone...but again, depends on how much weight you have to lose, etc. 

I did have a lot of loose skin, but I also started from a very high weight, and I had a lot of damage (stretch marks).  I did have a tummy tuck as well as a thigh and arm lift.  But the rest of me (face, neck, etc.), not such a problem.  Even if I couldn't have had the plastics done, I would way rather have the problem of loose skin, then being hampered by fat and health issues.

Good luck!

DD

Hissy1
on 2/27/15 3:17 am - Canada

Thanks ladies. I don't mean to sound shallow.  I'm currently 238.  And scared of being sick after as well. 

kellybelly333
on 2/27/15 8:22 am - Toronto, Canada

My surgery weight was 231. I was 5'2 (now 5'1...as some people lose height). I had two kids and the skin that was the worst was what we call the panni (loose skin below the belly button). Since the skin was damaged with stretch marks, the elasticity was gone. My arms were pretty big, but they didn't end up too bad. The other part that's not great is my upper thighs. I won't have surgery on them, but they will be wrinkly forever. 

I had a panniculectomy to remove the extra skin and I'm happy about that, because it was hurting when I ran.

It's normal to be scared, most of us are. This is a life-changing surgery and you have to change the way you think about food and vitamins forever. To me, this was a great alternative than the one the doctor gave me, and that was to be dead by 50.

I woke up sick from surgery, as I used to with all surgeries (and now I don't get sick coming out of anesthetic since losing the weight and having a pouch with nothing it it by the time I woke up after any post-RNY surgeries). It happens and you will get through it. Take deep, slow, breaths when you wake up, and it might help. Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics