Two weeks post-op, incision isn't healing

Meggles07
on 3/23/15 3:21 am - Canada

Since day one I've had issues with my biggest incision. It was the only incision that leaked in the hospital, and one week after surgery it started leaking again and became infected. I just finished my course of antibiotics and today my puppy accidentally jumped on it opening it back up. I didn't expect that to happen. I'm hoping it will heal up quickly, but I think I will have to be extra careful with it now. Did anyone else have incision troubles?

Catw
on 3/23/15 3:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

My big incision didn't completely close right away, and leaked serius fluid for a while.  They put me on antibiotics, and it started to heal, but I swear the one corner looked like a tiny eye peeking out.  Just because of how shiny the spot was.  I know I wasn't in the (surgery was end of June) pool at all that summer, so it took a while to stop seeping.  I kept it bandaged just to keep the fluid from getting on my clothes.

If it does worry you, get it checked again.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/15 12:27 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Mine took quite a bit to heal, and I kept them covered for over a month. Now, they are the tinest incisions and barely noticeable. 

Woody1115
on 3/24/15 4:13 am

Mine got infected one week post op and ended up going on antibiotics as well.  Now I have to have packing in it for 6 weeks till it heals up.  Put me back a couple weeks in the healing process but feeling much better since they drained it and got the medicine.  Ive been told its not serious just a set back but I just think that things could could have worse so I'm thankful.  Hope your recovery goes well.

Charms112
on 3/24/15 10:36 am - Canada

One of mine became infected about 2 weeks after surgery. My dr said that it's common when the inner stitches begin to break down before the wound is fully healed. I went on antibiotics and kept it covered for about 3 weeks. I would also leave uncovered for a bit to dry it out a bit. All is well now! 

Referral sent: April 17th 2014.  HRRH gave me my Orientation date:  June 19th 2014. Orientation: July 10th 2014. Received my first surgeon's appointment: August 25th 2014.  Surgeon's appointment scheduled: September 12th 2014. Dietitian and Social Worker and Dr. Glazer: October 6th 2014.  Nurse: October 7th 2014. Surgeon appointment October 22, 2014.  Surgery scheduled: December 19, 2014

happypants
on 3/24/15 12:12 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I would strongly suggest calling the weight management clinic and making an appointment to have the nurse practitioner look at it again. You may need another round of antibiotics to give your body a little help.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Meggles07
on 3/24/15 12:18 pm - Canada

I have my three week appointment on Thursday and I'm definitely planning on having the nurse look at it while I'm there. I've kept it clean and covered since it opened. I'm trying to take it easy and not open it again.

Most Active
Recent Topics