Any ideas to help with face/neck?

Zizzler
on 4/4/15 11:06 pm

At 7 months post-op rny, I am really happy with my results so far and very thankful to have had this surgery.  I have lost 112 pounds since my referral in August 2013. However, I have noticed some changes to my face and neck that are not as positive.  I have clearly defined wrinkles for the first time, for example, on my forehead and under my eyes.  Also the skin under my eyes is purple and puffy, has been since surgery.  Finally, my neck is thinner but has developed a sort of turkey neck pinched look.  What I am wondering is whether there is anything to be done?  So far I have been using vitamin E serum from the pharmacy and garnier 3-in-1 cleanser/exfoliate/mask a few times a week.  If there is nothing to be done then I am ok with that, I will be turning 40 within the next few months so I know it is normal to have some wrinkling of the skin. I guess before the fat filled in the wrinkles eh?  Any advice or thoughts welcome.

Patm
on 4/5/15 12:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Unfortunately like the rest of our bodies there is no cure except plastic surgery. I know it is hard but I was originally horrified at all the wrinkles but I have come to accept it. I still look better than I did obese

Zizzler
on 4/5/15 1:16 am

Hey Pat, thank you for your reply and I hope I do not appear shallow or insensitive for posting about this topic.  It is funny, before surgery people would regularly tell me that I looked 10 years younger than I was.  Now, I think that has changed, sort of like I have aged 10 years or more in 7 months!  Mentally it is hard but like you said I am happier overall with my appearance.  Most of all, I am physically able to do so much now, for which I am so grateful.  As you said with time a person comes to accept it and I am sure that is how it will be for me too. Have a nice easter Pat! 

Patm
on 4/5/15 3:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Not shallow at all. I have been amazed people say I look younger. I think it is just being overall more alive.

Zizzler
on 4/6/15 9:10 am

I think you are right, having more energy definitely is more youthful.  Lately people have been asking me if I am sick, that is why I feel a little more sensitive in general about my appearance.

Patm
on 4/6/15 10:41 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think tis long winter has us all looking a little sick. I found I lost in the face first not in the hips where I needed it the most. So initially I didn't look great. A little sun and you will look and feel a lot better. Good luck

Zizzler
on 4/7/15 9:39 am

Oh I hope you are right about the sun, and that it comes soon!

Karen M.
on 4/5/15 1:21 am - Mississauga, Canada

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that our bodies (INCLUDING FACE/NECK) shift, change, settle, redistribute, settle - lather, rinse repeat - many times both as we lose weight and as we maintain. The "final product" after a few years is a better indicator. Add to that general aging and the lack of fat filling in the creases and wrinkles and voila! Old lady with a turkey wattle. lol

It'll get better over time. And if, in a few years, you're not pleased with what you see, there is always plastic surgery as Pat mentioned.

In the meantime, keep moisturizing and use a good quality replenishing/moisturizing/toning type cream and don't be shy with it, slap that stuff on. ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 4/5/15 2:43 am

Thanks Karen, I hear what you are saying and it makes sense. I am still exploring moisturizers as I am very sensitive to most and get a rash or blemishes when I use them.  For now I use the vitamin E before bed, usually after exfoliating, it allows time for it to sink in over night.  I have used coconut oil in the past with no reaction, so I may try that again. 

sleevedin2014
on 4/5/15 3:57 am

I am over sixty and had WLS last Sept.  I'd been overweight for about the last fifteen or sixteen years, straight through my fifties.  People would always remark that I looked young for my age.  I would respond that it was the fat padding the wrinkles.  Lo and behold, my face has aged at least ten years. I use cold pressed coconut oil.  I wish I could afford a face lift, but at least I am healthier.  And so are you.  Good luck.  I hope your skin evens out.  You are only forty.

Most Active
Recent Topics