Lapband to Sleeve Revision

T B.
on 5/26/15 8:33 am - Canada

Has anyone gone from Lapband to sleeve in Ontario and had it covered by OHIP?

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/26/15 2:38 am, edited 5/26/15 2:38 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I know of many people who have had lapband to sleeve revision. The surgeon removes the lapband during the sleeve/RNY surgery and it is covered by OHIP

T B.
on 5/26/15 10:15 am - Canada

Thanks,

Is there a Ontario revision forum.  I can't find it.

Karen M.
on 5/26/15 10:22 am - Mississauga, Canada

No, there is just a general revision forum, nothing just for Ontario.

I wanted to note that depending on your body, the surgery may have to be two-part; one to remove the band and then a later surgery to do the VSG.  It really depends on your guts and any damage/scarring in there from the band.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/15 1:45 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Also there is no guarantee the surgeon will agree to a sleeve, most seem to end up with RNY.  You get referred to the registry and have to meet the criteria and from there you go through all the appointments and when you get to the surgeon then you can discuss that you would prefer VSG over RNY but you need to make a case for it as RNY is always the first one they opt for.

softballqueen89
on 5/27/15 10:20 am - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

Hi T. B.

I was referred by my Family Dr. in August last year for revision surgery (LapBand to RNY). 

My surgery was Feb of this year, and they were unable to do the RNY due to ulcers caused by the band - that is how I got my sleeve.  They made this decision while they were doing the surgery, it was not something that was decided prior to surgery.

Hope this helps.

T.

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

T B.
on 7/3/15 2:10 pm - Canada

Hi,  Thanks for the replies.

With the band I lost 70 lbs.  I now weigh 160.00.

Would they consider me for surgery.  I have severe reflux and vomiting.  Been going on for a long time but I need to do something about it.

Had band for 14 years with 4 more surgeries after that for 2 band disconnects, slip and then finally replacement about 8 years ago.

I know Dr Starr won't do a sleeve.  Is there a Doctor in the system that has more revisions that others?

Thanks

Karen M.
on 7/3/15 2:18 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Do you still have the band? If so, you seriously need to get it out if it's causing your body so much distress, first and foremost.

Just an FYI - very often the VSG isn't recommended for people who have severe reflux, GERD, etc. as it can worsen with a VSG.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics