Dieting prior to surgery

Molly83
on 7/29/15 6:17 am - Canada

Hi,

Would you recommend doing something like ww before surgery? I was thinking if I lost 30ish pounds before I had surgery I would then be able to get to a lower weight after surgery...thoughts?

1st referral-June 2014, sent back and resubmitted September 2014. Wrong referral-medical not surgical. December 22-Surgical Referral sent in.

March 2, 2015-Orientation session; April 8, 2015-Blood work completed; May 12, 2015-Intake appointment; July 24, 2015 Dietician/Behaviourist; August 26, 2015 Pre-surgery class; September 21, 2015 Meet the surgeon; SURGERY NOVEMBER 13, 2015

Karen M.
on 7/29/15 6:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think anything proactive you do prior to surgery is useful. A program like WW can be helpful in getting into the habit of planning meals, tracking calories/nutrients, etc. and also offers a "support group" component. Of all of the packaged weight loss programs, WW certainly seems the most balanced of them - mostly Canada Food Guide based with reasonable choices, no starvation-level menus, etc.

Will it allow you to get to a lower weight after surgery? No. Not dieting itself. The good habits you start to develop, however, will definitely assist.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Molly83
on 7/29/15 5:10 pm - Canada

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Here was my thinking...I currently weigh 288, if I got down to 250 before surgery then I might be able to get down to 160 instead of the 180 mark the nurse predicted. I know not to base things on numbers but right now that is all I have! I want to be a size medium so I can shop in stores like my friends. Feeling a little overwhelmed and ...well, a lot of things. Thanks for the online support 😀

1st referral-June 2014, sent back and resubmitted September 2014. Wrong referral-medical not surgical. December 22-Surgical Referral sent in.

March 2, 2015-Orientation session; April 8, 2015-Blood work completed; May 12, 2015-Intake appointment; July 24, 2015 Dietician/Behaviourist; August 26, 2015 Pre-surgery class; September 21, 2015 Meet the surgeon; SURGERY NOVEMBER 13, 2015

Karen M.
on 7/29/15 6:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada

No one can accurately predict where your weight may end up. I was 290, so right where you are now. I continued to lose well into my third year post-op and today I'm 120. I'm sure no one predicted that. ;)

There is no "math formula" (start at a lower weight, end up at a lower weight as you are suggesting) - it doesn't exist. I'm not sure where you are in the process, but I would like to suggest that you dedicate some time reading and learning here on the forum and if you have the opportunity, attend a couple of support groups to meet some WLS patients in person. The whole thing can indeed be overwhelming - thankfully we have this forum to participate on and there are quite a few experienced "losers" here who are more than happy to answer questions and provide guidance and support, myself included.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Patm
on 7/29/15 9:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Kare gave you a good answer. I would just add that making some lasting changes will help. Trying to find out why you eat and how to distract from eating from boredom/emotion whatever. Start drinking water or lots of fluids.

Cut out pop, find alternatives.

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics