Can you...

peacebypiece
on 8/15/15 6:16 pm

Hi all: I know that our initial referrals get sent to the nearest centre based on our postal code. Can we request a transfer to another centre? It seems that the wait times for centres vary considerably and just wondered if people had flexibility, if there was room in the system for this? Thanks for your help.

HKT53
on 8/15/15 7:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yes you can transfer to another hospital. Find out the bariatric surgeon of the hospital you want to go to. Get your family doctor to refer you to that surgeon. See that surgeon and then call the bariatric dept of the hospital where you are based to transfer your file and Ontario number to the surgeon/hospital you want. You should see the surgeon to see how he/she advises on your specific case. I was filed with the govt for TWH, but I went to see Dr Hagen at HRRH. Our meeting was very positive and I phoned TWH bariatric dept and requested files be sent to HRRH. As soon as it was confirmed my files were sent, I called the surgeon for him to pick up my case. However, my concern was not to save wait time. I still waited six months for my surgery. You can go on website Ontario Baratric Network and get a list of surgeons to their respective hospitals. I did call around to various surgeons offices and asked the receptionists for approx wait times to first consultation with the surgeon. You would be surprised how long some of them take to get in their office.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Nikki101
on 8/16/15 5:45 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I would see this being difficult difficult if you don't live in southern ontario... people in northern communities seem to only be able to go to specific  centers. And cannot simply go meet the surgeon. 

B-Trix123
on 8/16/15 1:22 pm - Toronto, Canada

I don't believe it is done by postal code. St. Mike's is 6 blocks from my place but I was sent to TEGH 20 min cab ride).

Also - my cardiologist referred me to Grantcharov at St. Mike's, Grantcharov filed an application for me to get in the program, but despite my preference to stick with the surgeon highly touted by my cardiologist, I was assigned to Dr. Cyriac at TEGH. No problem with Cyriac in the end. Expect it all comes down to scheduling.

Blueiiis
on 8/16/15 7:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

this is not to be a discouraging post.... Just my own thoughts about what I have observed here....

Those who rush through the program seem to have more trouble staying on plan post op.  It took me about a year to get through from initial referral received to surgery date.  Had a lot of time to think and reflect on how my life is going to be permanently changed.  Did I complain about the wait? Hell yeah! Was I jealous of those who got their surgery in half the time? Hell yeah! However! I feel that by taking the necessary time to read, research, talk to the vets that I was better equipped to deal with the radical changes this surgery demands.  I did not push through the stages - eating real food when I should be on soft food, having pizza or chicken a week or two post op. I followed the plan my centre gave me and that was it. I respect the plan, and may not understand why we had to do things a certain way, but did them anyways because I want to be a success. I see posts (not just here but also on FB) where people who got through in 6 months or less are eating things they shouldn't when they shouldn't.  Complain about not losing. Not exercising and complaining that they aren't losing. That the surgery wasn't working or a mistake.. Changing centres to get through quicker may not always be a good thing.  Just some"food for thought".

peacebypiece
on 8/17/15 6:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond with such a thoughtful post. I totally agree with you and your post came at a great time because j was just journaling about my idea of "moving on" with things and came to the same conclusions---that it is the process that matters--including the researching and learning and the waiting! There is a lesson in the waiting and I thank you again for supporting my learning in that!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics