Question about Iron

judyeliz
on 9/4/15 4:40 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Thanks RidingFan,  I went to Shoppers last night.  The Feramax was $20. for 30 pills, and the Proferrin was $30 for 30 pills.  Probably Costco is a better deal, but I think I will wait and see if I tolerate it ok, and if I will need to continue taking long term.   I got the Feramax  and some chewable vitamin C.  I just took the capsule whole last night and didn't seem to have a problem with it.  Do you open yours because you have difficulty with the size of the capsule, or do you think it absorbs better after being opened?  Just curious 

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

northernga1
on 9/4/15 9:58 am - Elliot Lake, Canada
On September 4, 2015 at 4:40 AM Pacific Time, judyeliz wrote:

Thanks RidingFan,  I went to Shoppers last night.  The Feramax was $20. for 30 pills, and the Proferrin was $30 for 30 pills.  Probably Costco is a better deal, but I think I will wait and see if I tolerate it ok, and if I will need to continue taking long term.   I got the Feramax  and some chewable vitamin C.  I just took the capsule whole last night and didn't seem to have a problem with it.  Do you open yours because you have difficulty with the size of the capsule, or do you think it absorbs better after being opened?  Just curious 

judy

you should open and dissolve into some coffee or tea.  or jus****er is what i do its flavourless .  Opening ensures that we get the full dosage, better asborbed that way.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 12:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Unfortunately, it doesn't ensure we get the full dosage. It might help a little. Iron absorption in RNY patients is tricky.

I hope you're thoroughly rinsing and brushing after you do that? Iron will stain your teeth terribly. I would never dissolve it and drink it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 9/4/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

When I take a larger size pill or capsule I usually take it with warm water.  I figure that helps the coating to dissolve.  I did crush pills right after surgery and mix them with yogurt or something, and the taste was gad awful, gag worthy.  Happy I don't have to do that anymore.  

I haven't had any problems with pills getting stuck, the only one I still chop in half is my prenatal multi.  The brand I just bought is slightly smaller than the ones I just finished, so I probably don't even have to chop it anymore.

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 1:27 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I have pills that I have to split, but it has nothing to do with my surgery (almost 10 years ago lol), I just always have problems with big pills/gagging 'til I puke. I don't suggest crushing, opening, or anything other than "down the hatch" with iron though! ;)

Karen

judyeliz
on 9/4/15 2:47 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

"down the hatch" works for me.  

northernga1
on 9/4/15 2:27 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada
On September 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't ensure we get the full dosage. It might help a little. Iron absorption in RNY patients is tricky.

I hope you're thoroughly rinsing and brushing after you do that? Iron will stain your teeth terribly. I would never dissolve it and drink it.

yes i rinse my mouth afterwards and i have not had any issues thus far.  Sometimes i brush depends on when i take the iron

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 4:28 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You mentioning that reminds me of when the calcium citrate pills I was taking were too big, cutting them made them too jagged, so I used to just crunch them up. They didn't taste like anything, other than gritty. I did that for a long while actually.

Karen

judyeliz
on 9/4/15 5:23 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

OMG!  the calcium citrate are the worse!  I don't know how you could "crunch them up"  You must have good strong teeth.  I have two kinds that I tried crushing, one of them was even uncrushable with one of those screw top crusher things.  And they did get too jagged when cutting them.  I am sticking to liquid and chewables for now.  So I have a couple bottles of calcium citrate monster pills I can send to you, and you can do a youtube video teaching us all how to crunch them up... lol  

Karen, you're a  

Karen M.
on 9/4/15 11:10 am, edited 9/4/15 11:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

It wasnt pretty Judy. 

LOL

Have you tried the Wellesse from Costco (liquid)?

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics