One week post op today

Tara Sauders
on 11/11/15 8:58 am - Canada

This week has flown by since my surgery.  I am finally starting to feel better and am able to get some things done around the house...mind you, I can change one load of laundry and then I have to sit quiet for the next half hour to rest.  I still get light headed and feel weak if I do to much or move too fast but I am getting used to it and am not pushing myself too hard.  I'm not the kind of person who can sit still for very long so I was thrilled just to get out of the house with my hubby to go to GNC and Walmart for an hour last night, LOL! The constant nausea that I had for the first 5 days is starting to subside and I am able to eat without many issues.  I reached the 60g protein goal that the dietitian gave me for the past three days and I am getting in about 4-5 cups of liquids on top of my meals. I had an odd day yesterday in that I was craving salty things all day but nothing seemed to quench it. I ended up drinking a big mug of broth (slowly) last night and then I felt a lot better. I wonder if I was lacking something nutritionally that made my body want the sodium so badly?  Anyway, all-in-all everything is going great and I think I am doing pretty well at this stage.  Looking forward to adding a few new flavours to my full fluid diet this week to see what else I can tolerate.  I hope everyone else that has had surgery recently is feeling as good about things as I am!

HW=268.6; Opti day 1=268.6; SW=254.6; Referral Aug 2014; Orientation at HRRH Feb 13, 2015; Meet Dr.Klein July 23; Dr.Glazer Aug 6; SW & RD Sept 3rd; RN Oct 23rd; 2nd Dr.Klein Sept 16; PATT call Oct 8th; Start Opti Oct 21; PATT appt Oct 23rd; RNY 12:00pm Nov 4, 2015

northernga1
on 11/11/15 12:54 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada
On November 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Pacific Time, Tara S. wrote:

This week has flown by since my surgery.  I am finally starting to feel better and am able to get some things done around the house...mind you, I can change one load of laundry and then I have to sit quiet for the next half hour to rest.  I still get light headed and feel weak if I do to much or move too fast but I am getting used to it and am not pushing myself too hard.  I'm not the kind of person who can sit still for very long so I was thrilled just to get out of the house with my hubby to go to GNC and Walmart for an hour last night, LOL! The constant nausea that I had for the first 5 days is starting to subside and I am able to eat without many issues.  I reached the 60g protein goal that the dietitian gave me for the past three days and I am getting in about 4-5 cups of liquids on top of my meals. I had an odd day yesterday in that I was craving salty things all day but nothing seemed to quench it. I ended up drinking a big mug of broth (slowly) last night and then I felt a lot better. I wonder if I was lacking something nutritionally that made my body want the sodium so badly?  Anyway, all-in-all everything is going great and I think I am doing pretty well at this stage.  Looking forward to adding a few new flavours to my full fluid diet this week to see what else I can tolerate.  I hope everyone else that has had surgery recently is feeling as good about things as I am!

craving salt usually means you are dehydrated, i could be wrong but after drinking the broth you increased your fluid intake and it helped because you got salt and you got more fluids in. 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

MyLifeRNYWay
on 11/11/15 3:20 pm
RNY on 12/04/15

Glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are feeling good Tara. 

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

MonaLisaSmile
on 11/11/15 6:07 pm - Canada

The  first week is the hardest.  Glad to hear you are coming along.  Get used to being tired.  That lasts for a few months, you kinda have to pace yourself to make it through the day.  Walking a lot really helped me keep my head clear, and I swear it made my healing faster.  

Take things one day at a time, don't push yourself too much, and never underestimate the value of deep breathing and relaxation.  Take good care of you!!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Canadajet
on 11/14/15 2:39 pm

So glad to hear you are doing better.  2 more days and then my surgery.  Keep the updates, it helps me focus on the goal

Most Active
Recent Topics