Moving on to the next step

Kris P.
on 11/10/15 7:24 am - Sarnia, Canada

Well I got all my approvals back in September with one little but... I tested positive for hPylori so I had to go through the antibiotics wait and do the breath test etc etc etc. Well after 2 months and 8 days of waiting I finally got a negative results and the clinic called me and scheduled me for Surgery Education class later this month! I am so happy to finally be moving forward again.

**Dr referral:Jan 8/2015 **Clinic letter:Jan 21/15**Orientation:Feb 12 2015**Nurse Consult 4/21/2015**Nutrition class: 5/5/2015**Surgery Education Class: 11/26/2015**Meet the Surgeon: 12/21/2015 via telehealth**Surgery 1/8/2016 TWH Dr Todd Penner**

MyLifeRNYWay
on 11/10/15 8:03 am
RNY on 12/04/15

Awesome news Kris, that's great. I'm glad you got the news you were hoping for. Which centre are you going through?

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

HKT53
on 11/10/15 9:28 am - Toronto, Canada

Because I went through the H Pylori pre-op - I would like to pass this little tidbit of info to you. Once you have H Pylori and treated -- your blood tests results will for the rest of your life show the H Pylori virus. It is very much like how measles stay in your blood for the rest of your life. So my advice to you....get a copy of the breath test that shows negative and keep it with you. When you do meet with your surgeon, let him know that you did have H Pylori - that you were treated for it and show him the negative results tests. I tell you this because two days before surgery the nurse at hospital called me. Her responsibility is to look over my blood tests -- that maybe my surgery will be cancelled because test show I have the H Pylori virus. I called my surgeon, who knew that I was in the clear and he called and reported to the nurse and all my charts that H Pylori is now negative. You want everybody that will be involved with your charts and team in surgery to have this info correct so you have a safe and uninterrupted surgery.

Remember, 1 oz of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In our case many pounds of cure. Best of luck with your journey.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

lauralaurad1
on 11/10/15 9:57 am - Canada

Hello

I did 4 sets of antibiotics I started in Jan 2015 and the last set was in October of last month and I still tested positive.

I not sure what else to do.  

HKT53
on 11/10/15 5:29 pm - Toronto, Canada

Are you taking the breath test as opposed to the blood test? The breath test will cost you a fee that is not covered by OHIP but is by far the best way to test for H Pylori. Mine started 4 years ago and had two sets of antibiotics but in November of 2013, I again breath tested positive for H Pylori. Again two more sets of antibiotics. Then in November of 2014 I insisted on a gastric scope and swatch because blood test stated I had it. That test proved I no longer had the H Pylori even though for the rest of my life my blood will show positive.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

lauralaurad1
on 11/10/15 7:56 pm - Canada

No the Doctor always made me take a blood test and it always positive, I don't mind paying a fee, if that would the best way to test for H Pylori.

and in the mean time just to make sure, I think I should get a gastric scope done just because I'm really scared that the H Pylori would cause complications when it comes to surgery.

Thanks, Laura

HKT53
on 11/10/15 8:26 pm - Toronto, Canada

You are absolutely bang on correct. Ask for a scope. I did and I was so happy I spoke up and asked for it. Then everybody has a good picture of what they are dealing with before surgery. I am with you on the scope. Discuss after the gastroscopy if a breath test is necessary. I did both but maybe if I had the gatroscopy first, I would not have needed the breath test. I can tell you the breath test is by far superior to the blood test in proving negative H Pylori.

lauralaurad1
on 11/11/15 6:45 am - Canada

Thanks for the great advice!!!! I just what to make sure to do everything in my part to avoid any complications.

Kris P.
on 11/11/15 8:26 am - Sarnia, Canada

According to my doctor if you had hpylori at anytime in your entire life even if you currently don't have an infection a blood test will always come up positive for hpylori. The only way to rule out an active infection is via urea breath test which ohip doesn't cover unless done in a nuclear medicine lab in a hospital. Lifelabs in ontario does it and it costs $95.00

**Dr referral:Jan 8/2015 **Clinic letter:Jan 21/15**Orientation:Feb 12 2015**Nurse Consult 4/21/2015**Nutrition class: 5/5/2015**Surgery Education Class: 11/26/2015**Meet the Surgeon: 12/21/2015 via telehealth**Surgery 1/8/2016 TWH Dr Todd Penner**

Most Active
Recent Topics