iron question

lessofkelly_
on 2/8/16 1:35 am

I know my Iron is low from my last blood work they said it was 11 and really I have no clue as to what it should be for a normal level but I am so tired all the time how low does I have to go before they will do an infusion?and what is a normal level?

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/16 6:00 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

Mine was 117 and my doctor told me he would like it to be 140.  As per the print out I got - Range between 120 to 160 is normal.  At 117 I was tired and my head was very foggy.  Yours is very low....  Hope you feel better soon.  Did you get iron pills/liquid?

northernga1
on 2/8/16 1:19 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

by 11 do you mean ferritin? Ferritin is your iron stores and anything below 20 is not normal and requires IV iron infusions to bring it back up.  I would go to the pharmacy and get either feramax 150 or proferrin and take 2 or 3 a day.  Open the capsule and dissolve the powder into a hot liquid such as coffee or tea and drink.   what they consider normal is 20-300 however anything below 50 you will have iron deficiency anemia symptoms please look at the following link for more information http://theironmaiden.ca/.  there are only 2 irons we absorb properly post bariatric surgery feramax 150 and proferrin all other irons are absorbed in the small intestines they by pass during our surgery.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

spitintheocean
on 2/9/16 2:59 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12

The "Reference Range" for Ferritin on Ontario Lab results is a range from 18 to 543 ug/L. Lab reports contain the actual findings of the specific blood tests matched to a column with the reference ranges. The system automatically triggers an "L - N - H" finding in a dedicated column based upon that range. Healthcare providers will typically scan only this column to see if there are any "L" or "H" findings and then zero in on that issue to see what's what. Four years post Roux-en-Y and my reading is 170. 

Most Active
Recent Topics