I've tried premier protein shakes at the gym and see advertisements on here

Is premier protein shakes a good "meal replacement" syst surgery

For example, having it as breakfast? 

Thanks, 

Jen

nitethyme
on 2/22/16 2:49 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Hi there, I'm no expert, but I have used it as an on the run breakfast as well as a 'snack' .. half in the morning and half in the afternoon.  It certainly provides the protein you require and I have asked about it with my NUT and she has no issue with it, although quite often they will say they would rather you eat your calories then drink them.  But my experience they are fine as a breakfast or lunch replacement. I even used them when I was on Opti if I was out and had no place to make an Opti shake.

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

canadianmommyof2
on 2/22/16 4:58 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Great thank you so much for your reply! I wanted to get input before I went to costco to buy it. I think I'll buy it and use it when needed.

Thanks!

Patm
on 2/22/16 5:15 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Premier can be a great meal replacement as mentioned. Many people on here use it. However it should not be used instead of opti.

It is great for early stages of recovery but many people find their tastes change after surgery.

canadianmommyof2
on 2/22/16 5:37 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Right,  so not as a replacement for optifast, but good as a meal replacement afterwards. Is it also good long term as a meal replacement - like breakfast - 6 months + years?

need_to_run_81
on 2/22/16 6:35 am

I know someone 2 years out that has an premier protein/iced coffee drink for breakfast every single day.  She's doing amazing, and I think I'll follow her "plan" post op.  So yes, 1 month of 5 years out - if you're going to have a meal replacement, it's a smart choice.

Patm
on 2/22/16 8:49 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I prefer other things so it is definitely a personal choice. I got tired of it after awhile. But it is great for protein.

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/22/16 10:18 am - Canada

Its a great choice (especially for the first few months) to get your protein grams in.  I quite often had one at the end of the day to boost my numbers when I felt they were just average or low.  You have to do a ton of drinking and very little chewing in the first stage after surgery.

Some people use the vanilla in their coffee as creamer, some people freeze them slightly for variety.  They have recently got much more expensive than they once were (but hasn't everything!!) but they are convenient.  Someone on OH is usually nice enough to post when Costco has them on sale.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/16 10:28 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I prefer GNC to Premier but they are similiar stats and both RTD.  I don't use it so much as a meal replacement but I will drink one in the morning as I can't eat that early, then I have a snack mid morning.  If I were to eat a food breakfast then I'd not eat a snack.  Early out they are a godsend since you will have trouble consuming much in the way of protein other than them.

canadianmommyof2
on 2/22/16 1:03 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks everyone for your feedback, is really helpful and insightful. I'll look out for the Costco posts. 

Most Active
Recent Topics