optifast and diabetes

canadianmommyof2
on 3/6/16 4:05 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

I'm currently on optifast and I also have diabetes. I have to test my sugat before each shake. TWH says if our sugar is below 6 two times in a row to lower insulin by 50%. So I've completely went off my long lasting insulin and down to 2 units of.my fast acting insulin. My sugar is now above 6 but now between 8-9. I went back on 2 units of long lasting insulin this morning. 

My question is, although our sugar levels is supposed to be above 6, is it supposed to be between a certain number,  for example,  between 6-10? Do I need to increase my insulin?  I've been adding extracts to the shakes, it doesn't have any nutritional content on the bottle,  but when I input it into My fitness pal, it says 0 carbs. Do you think this could be increasing my sugar levels? When I cut insulin down to 2, sugar was between 6-7for a day, now between 8-9.

Please  help. 

Thanks, 

Jen

White Dove
on 3/6/16 8:26 pm - Warren, OH

You need to talk to your medical team.  You don't want to get your sugar too high, because that could mean they would delay your surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 4:40 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi white dove,

I'll call them this morning.  It was 9 this morning.  Too high. 

Thanks for your help! 

Jen

CPAC
on 3/7/16 1:51 pm

All centres are different and advise differently. Mine said a blood sugar between 10-14 is optimal now. and 8 was too low. I kept getting 8s so I kept reducing to get to the new target range.  I went from a slow acting insulin,, a fast acting, insulin. insulin booster needle (victoza), 4 metformin a day and an other booster type pill (invocana) when I started the shakes, down to no needles, no boosters, not even metformin. . I did this gradually over 13 day on opti. I also lost 20 pound. Before surgery the doctors were saying that  I was most likely  going to have to be a gastric sleeve not the roux-en-y. Well things did not go that way. turns out They did have enough room. As I said before, this is just my experience. 

Initial referral June 2014. Orientation Dec 2014. Initial Weight 380 lb. Meet the surgeon Feb 18 2016 Start opti Feb 19 2016 Opti weight 370 lb Surgery March 2 2016

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 2:16 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi CPAC ,

I spoke to the nurse from my Centre this morning. She said that my sugar had to be above 6 and there is no "high" number. I asked her if my sugar was 15 for example,  would they do surgery and she said yes.

She said all that matters is that my sugar is not below 6 and that my sugar would even itself out.

I'm still nervous though as we're used to having our sugars between 4-7.

Good for you that you're off ask that medication! I'm currently in 4 units of toujoe  (long lasting ) on morning and night and 2 units of novorapid. Before optifast I was on 180 units of everything. 

Thanks for your reply! 

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics