pureed stage and carbs

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 9:12 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

I'm reading the binder TWH gave us. On the pureed stage it says we can have melba toast and also mashed potatoes. 

But from other posts I've read of we want to loose weight faster,  then we shouldn't be eating breads, rice,  pasta and potatoes. 

In liquid stage it says cream of Wheat and oatmeal. What about this? 

So should I stay away from these? Or go ahead and eat these afterwards? 

Additionally,  can I have ricotta cheese during week 1 &2? It says we can have cottage cheese,  is ricotta ok too?

Thanks for your help! 

NorthernStar
on 3/7/16 9:33 am, edited 3/7/16 2:25 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

You are asking great questions! This is where you'll need to make a decision for yourself. I can only speak from my own experience, and that is keeping carbs down really contributed to my weight loss. I found the advice from my centre (HRRH) to be fairly carb-heavy.

The first few weeks are where its a bit different. You'll be healing and you need to focus on getting in your protein, vitamins and water and anything else you have needs to be very soft texture. After getting in your protein, you likely won't have too much room leftover for a significant amount of those higher-carb foods so I wouldn't sweat it early out. If you like cream of wheat/oatmeal and want to have some during the full fluid stage, I say go for it. Just get your protein in first.

I ate a few things during the first few weeks out that I eventually dropped once I got further out. I had a bit of NSA canned fruit, tomato soup (made with milk) and melba toast with tuna salad. Once I was further out and had more variety of foods, I didn't really eat these things anymore. 

Ricotta cheese should be fine during the full fluid stage. A great alternative to mashed potatoes is pureed cauliflower! You can season it up and you'll barely notice a difference.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 10:08 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks so much for your help and reply! I like the idea of mashed cauliflower. It's healthier too!

I'm glad I can eat ricotta cheese I prefer that over cottage cheese. 

I raju find TWH binder carb heavy too. Reading OH really is helping me a lot. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks,

Jen 

White Dove
on 3/7/16 10:07 am - Warren, OH

I guess I was lucky.  My nutritionist said no bread, sugar, oatmeal, grits, potatoes, rice, cereal, etc.  My surgeon considers success losing and maintain 100% of excess weight.

Most surgeons are happy with you losing 50 to 60% of excess weight and will advise a different post-op diet than what I had.  It is up to you whether you want to lose all of the excess weight or will be content with some weight loss.

Ricotta cheese is fine instead of cottage cheese.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 10:31 am
RNY on 03/16/16

No i want to lose ALL of my excess weight. So I plan on staying away from carbs!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/16 10:12 am - Canada

I'm on soft/pureed stage right now and staying away from carbs. I've tried melba toast but it is to painful fro me to eat, same was with cream of wheat. The only carbs I'm eating are in greek yogurt and refried beans.

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 10:34 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks for your help. Sorry your getting pain with the cream of Wheat and melba toast.

Ohdidn't know we could have refried beans.i should try that too.

Meggles07
on 3/7/16 3:09 pm - Canada

I did try to eat oatmeal during the full fluids stage of my program but it did not agree with my pouch.  I do love it now though :)  Also, I didn't eat crackers at first.  I would wait until you are approaching maintenance if at all.  The main reason I have added some crackers is because I need to increase my sodium consumption.

Meg~

canadianmommyof2
on 3/7/16 3:11 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks Meggles for your reply! 

lammytee14
on 3/7/16 5:59 pm

I tried carbs when they were indicated in our meal plan but my pouch did not like the carbs. Anytime I ate even a little bit (1/2 melba round) my pouch would throw it up. Same for baby potatoes and mashed potatoes. It wasn't until I was 6 months out I could manage a melba round or a triscuit. I still don't eat many carbs...which was a problem keeping my blood sugars in a normal range. I worked with the dietitian to find a good/healthy balance.

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics