Eating after surgery

B-Trix123
on 3/12/16 3:57 pm - Toronto, Canada

I doubt you are dumb -- sometimes we all need a little help with where to look to find what we need. It can be so overwhelming.

The sample liquid diets on TWH pages 77 & 78 are in imperial - not metric, so I can't help you there. Call the nutritionist on Monday to be sure to get the right information.

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 4:04 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

I will. Thanks so much for your kind words! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/16 6:08 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It says 1 tbsp every 5 mins and to eat for 30 to 40 minutes.  So they want you to eat 6 to 8 tbsp per meal.  Each tbsp is 15 ml so then you would need 3 to 4 medicine cups per meal if you follow their plan.  You may be surprised when you only end up being able to eat a few tbsp as some just can't do more than that.  The goal is that but you get in what you can.

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 6:13 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

That's very goodinfo. I'll make sure and remember that! Thankyou so much for your help and time to explain things to me. I really appreciate it! 

Just four more days of Optifast. Surgery is Wednesday,  can't wait!!!

Jen

jaimbeth
on 3/14/16 1:54 am
On March 12, 2016 at 2:28 AM Pacific Time, canadianmommyof2 wrote:

Hi there, 

I'm having RNY surgery this Wednesday (yeahh). After surgery when I come home how midi at a time am I supposed to eat?  For example,  if I'm having cottage cheese do I fill a 1/4 cup and eat all that or do I start by having tablespoons due the first day/week?  I knew they're cutting our nerves so I might not feel if I'm full or not (or will I? ) 

How do I know how much to eat at one meal? 

Please help. Thanks! 

Jen

This was on page 75 ....

How should you eat? ? eat slowly. Your meals should take 30 to 40 minutes ? eat or drink 1 tablespoon every 5 minutes ? stop eating if you feel any discomfort or pain ? keep water nearby and slowly sip it throughout the day

~Jaime~

canadianmommyof2
on 3/14/16 5:37 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks Jamie! 

elisabeth1968
on 3/14/16 1:18 pm - toronto, Canada

Hi Jen, It will be almost 1 year since my surgery.  I asked so many questions myself so don't feel like you are asking stupid question...every question is a smart one.

Speak to your surgeon and the nurses on the floor after surgery.  Ask for a consult with the nutritionist and go over all of your questions.  I found it hard to always refer to the binder, I preferred asking questions to a live person.

I found that I was able to eat very little, even less than what they allowed in the small cups.  i think I was so nervous about getting sick that I didn't eat.  Stay on liquids for a while, you will do well with that.

I was scared even putting a piece of solid food in my mouth the first few times but you will learn to listen to your body.  Don't be afraid if certain food just don't agree with you.

Ask questions!

Good luck

Lisa 

canadianmommyof2
on 3/14/16 1:28 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi Lisa, 

Thank you so much for your great advice! I should ask to speak to the nutritionist for a consult,  it'll help alleviate some of my concerns and worries - probably like you,  I am nervous to do something wrong and hurt my pouch.

One more full day until Wednesday, the day of the surgery! Can't wait! 

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics