Eating after surgery

canadianmommyof2
on 3/11/16 6:28 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

I'm having RNY surgery this Wednesday (yeahh). After surgery when I come home how midi at a time am I supposed to eat?  For example,  if I'm having cottage cheese do I fill a 1/4 cup and eat all that or do I start by having tablespoons due the first day/week?  I knew they're cutting our nerves so I might not feel if I'm full or not (or will I? ) 

How do I know how much to eat at one meal? 

Please help. Thanks! 

Jen

White Dove
on 3/11/16 11:29 pm, edited 3/11/16 3:26 pm - Warren, OH

They gave me little medicine cups to take home and use to measure food.  They were much smaller than 1/4 cup.  Ask your surgeon what amount you should be eating.  I was on liquids only for the first two weeks, but every surgeon's plan is different.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 11:16 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi white dove, 

Yes I'll be on liquids due two weeks also  but it does say we can have yoghurt and cottage cheese. When I asked the dietician questions she said everything is in the binder we got.  Butit doesn't say and she says surgeon won't tell me either. They're supposed to be there to help -what kind of help is that? (Sorry fur my rant).

But I'm going to make sure and ask the Surgeon masseur before I leave the hospital. I'm worried about stretching my pouch,  overeating,  etc.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Jen

sneezy6145
on 3/12/16 3:48 am

I haven't had my surgery yet so I can't answer that but I do want to say...I'm so happy for you, Wednesday is just around the corner!  :)

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 11:19 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi sneezy6145

Thank you very much! I am excited but nervous at the same time. Nervous about stretching my pouch, what to cook after. I guess it'll ask come into play.

Where are you at in the process? 

Jen

sneezy6145
on 3/12/16 12:13 pm

Hi Jen

Being nervous is being smart! Your life is changing for the better!

I have my trio apts. (RN, SW, and dietitian) the end of this month. I have already seen my surgeon and Dr.Glazer. I did my sleep study and ecocardiogram. Then I go back to Dr. Glazer on April 13th. So hopefully I will have a surgery date soon. 

Keeping my fingers crossed....in the mean time, you guys who have already gone through this are my inspiration.  :)

Angela

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 12:20 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi Angela, 

Well your almost through your appointments!  Soon you'll have your surgery too! I'm guessing probably in June. I'm very happy and excited for you too! 

Teacher care, look forward to seeing you on here too. Good luck with your journey! 

Jen

B-Trix123
on 3/12/16 12:22 pm - Toronto, Canada

I must say I an shocked that you are not provided this information in your binder. Unbelievable! You must be at different centre than me -- TWH.

Here's a link that will take you to their binder http://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Health_Information/Health_Topics/Documents/Eating_for_Health_after_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery.pdf

Eating after surgery starts on pg. 73

You can also buy this book written by a Canadian https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Guide-Pro gram/dp/0778802736?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It has recipes that I found helpful.

Good luck on Wed.

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 1:32 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi trix123,

I actually have the binder and have been reading it. It says what to eat but it doesn't say  how much of it to eat the first week. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so it's quite possible that I'm not reading it properly. 

Thanks for the links.

Jen

canadianmommyof2
on 3/12/16 1:41 pm, edited 3/12/16 5:44 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Ok I'm so dumb. Now I  see it. (Duh). It says eat 1 tbsp every five minutes.  So I guess one meal should take 30-40 minutes and within those minutes, put something in my mouth every five minutes. But do I still portion out 30ml of liquid food like in the hospital  (yoghurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, etc)?

Thanks so much for your help,  I really appreciate it! 

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics