Surgery March 16th, 3 days post-op

canadianmommyof2
on 3/19/16 5:45 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

Well I'm three days post up and it was a roller coaster ride. During surgery,  my husband was updated three times on the progress of the surgery,  which was really good. The surgeon said surgery was a success and there was no blood loss at all!

During surgery,  the anesthesiologist moved my iv from my right hand to my left - maybe it wasn't working. But I was in so much pain the whole day.  I told the nurse that my iv is not working.  She flushed it and that killed. She got another nurse to look at my iv and she said I didn't have good poke veins so didn't change it. So she'd rather me be in so much pain then try to find a vein. My mom went and got the charge nurse and she changed it. The next day,  Thursday,  they also changed my pain meds around and I was feeling great.  Walked around the hospital three different times a total of 44 laps. Trying to sip water too and tea and broth. But I got the full feeling right away,  so stopped eating broth. 

Yesterday was terrible. I was supposed to go home but I was so nauseous threw up about three times. Dr said I couldn't go home. It was very difficult to suppor****er. I woke up that morning and my iv had come out and my whole left hand arm was swollen.  Nurse put another one in on my right hand. Later my husband came to see me he gave me a sponge bath (First time in my life he giving me a bath, lol) so they had to take stop the iv. They tried to put it back on, now it was blocked. Four different nurses came and tried to find another vein - no luck. My evening nurse came tried and got the iv in right away. I was again given gravel and pain killer - and FINALLY  the nausea stopped. 

So today, I'm still in the hospital but being discharged today. Yeah. But I'm finding it quite hard to sip water because when I do, I get nauseous.  Nurse said this is is normal. Is it?

Thanks for listening! 

Jen

sneezy6145
on 3/19/16 5:51 am

Hi Jen,

Good to hear you are feeling better. I can't help you from personal experience but I have read a few threads on here and a lot of people say they can't drink plain water anymore. They say if they put in a drop or two of the crystal light, they are fine. Go figure. I don't understand the logic, but a lot of people have said that. Maybe that will help. Hope you are going home really soon!

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/19/16 7:25 am, edited 3/19/16 1:33 am - Canada

Sorry you've had a bit if a rough start.  Some nurses are just blessed with that I V first time skill......if  they told you the nausea is normal...it is.

First few days are definitely the worst.....ridding your body of the gas and anesthetic and introducing those first liquids.

Keep your chin up girl, one day at a time 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

jaimbeth
on 3/19/16 8:28 am

I've been wondering how you were. I'm pre-op so I cannot tell you what you need to know but with that said take it easy and I hope your nausea goes away soon. Sorry you had such problems with the IVs.

~Jaime~

wanttogetgoing
on 3/19/16 9:20 am - St. Catharines

Hi Jen,

Keep Strong!! 

lammytee14
on 3/19/16 9:33 am

Your post reminded me how much my iv hurt. They had to change location post op because of the pain when they tried to flu****

Sorry to hear you're off to a bit of a rough start but it gets better. Water became a challenge...as mentioned in another post above mine, flavouring helps. I'm a huge kool-aid squirt fan now.

Enjoy going back home and being in your own bed. It makes such a difference.

Happy Healing!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Elliebear
on 3/19/16 10:56 am - Durham region,Ontario

Sorry to hear you have had such a hard time of it, hopefully you are home soon resting in your own bed.  My surgery is not till April 29th but your nausea seems to be a coo on thing right after surgery.  Feel better soon and keep us posted.

Most Active
Recent Topics