Ten Years Post Op.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/6/16 2:31 pm - Windsor, Canada

I don't post here often but I thought I'd drop by and say hello!  I'm more often on Facebook than here but I think it's good when long timers pop in and remind newbies that there is life after Wls 

10 years ago I had RNY. I had been overweight since childhood and became obese as an adult. My highest weight was around 290 lbs.

A year after Rny I was 140. Some said I was too thin at that weight.

The last 9 years I've played with bounceback, anywhere from 5-25
lbs on any given, day or year. Always trying to get back to that elusive 140.

THE BAD

Side effects of surgery: osteopenic (told the wrong form of calcium by my program. Please remember your surgeon is NOT God, folks!).

Reactive hypoglycemic. Took me a while to master the effects of low blood sugar but now I totally know how to manage it.

Iron deficient. Always trying to normalize my levels.

THE GREAT:

Mobility is not an issue. Five half marathons completed and numerous 5Ks. My knees don't hurt and my back is barely an issue. My migraines disappeared completely for many years. I rarely get them anymore.

I can shop anywhere. It's wonderful. One size fits all - does actually fit.

I no longer am afraid of the backseats of cars, climbing up bleachers, turnstiles, walking by groups of teenagers, whether a seat will hold me, going to parties, etc.

THE LESSONS I'VE LEARNED:

Surgery does NOT fix your head. It doesn't. It won't make you happier, it won't stop your eating issues, it won't cure your desires for sweets and junk. Long term issues will be back. Eating becomes very very easy after a few years. Very normalized. Your eating issues WILL be back. Therapy is a good thing.

I still struggle with self esteem. I still struggle with body issues. Even plastics did not fix the underlying self esteem issues. Our heads need even more attention than our bodies so. The psychological aspects are the toughest.

Your program and surgeon is not God. Read and research and advocate for yourself.

Support groups are critical: in person and online. Sitting and talking with friends who get it is the most beneficial therapy you can get. Stay active in groups. Jus****ch for the sellers trying to be your best friend.

Setting new goals is critical. Trying new things is a good thing when you are struggling. Doing the same old, same old when you are faltering doesn't cut it. Reinventing yourself life long will be a challenge.

My pouch tolerates everything. My head still wants everything. The only way I have kept it off is because of MY CHOICES. I choose to get back on track ASAP when I fall. I choose to stay in my support group. I choose to limit alcohol. I choose to get active and physical. I choose to be accountable on a scale. I choose to always work on me, my eating issues and my habits. It's a choice every day. Behaviours, habits and accountability are what keep me in line.

Surgery helped me get off the weight. I give it less credit for keeping if off. What I COULD eat and what I CHOOSE to eat are two different things. I can gain weight really easily. I can easily eat bigger portions if I don't measure or watch carefully.

That said, I could not have lost the weight without surgery and kept it off. It's a gift AND A RESPONSIBILITY.

I wish everyone the best journey possible. Have a great day!

if you want to add me on Facebook - my first name you know.... Last is the last name of the singer of the band No Doubt. ;-) 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

NorthernStar
on 7/6/16 3:15 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

You're amazing Dawn!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/6/16 4:55 pm - Canada

Wow......thanks for that Dawn!!!!!!!!     You are AWESOME !!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Monica9811
on 7/7/16 3:12 am - Peterborough, Canada

Great post Dawn. Nice to hear from you. I followed your story four years ago when I started this journey and I appreciated your honesty. Thanks for keeping it real.  All the best!

monica

kristaeb
on 7/7/16 5:16 am

Excellent post Dawn.. You nailed it..Always love reading your posts...Take care...Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

IamBettyCooper
on 7/7/16 7:38 pm

Great post!  Thank you for sharing.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

roxytrim
on 7/8/16 7:10 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Yeah...for all recent "graduates"....what Dawn said is all you need to know.

NewMe2.0
on 7/8/16 12:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Congratulations on your success Dawn.  You truly are one of the inspirations on this site.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

fiercebynature
on 7/8/16 8:59 pm

Thank You for posting. I have not had surgery yet but your description is how I assumed it would be after and its nice to understand I'm on track.

Thanks!!

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

sheriberi29
on 9/1/16 5:48 pm - Cleveland, TN

Good luck on your surgery 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Most Active
Recent Topics