What should I expect?

TDotDana
on 7/17/16 7:07 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Ok - so I have completed my Orientation - and my Psychologist appt.  I now am wondering what to expect for my next few appointments.

I am doing everything through TWH

1.  Social Worker - Jul 20th
  2. Nurse Practinioer July 25th
  3. Nutrition Class Aug 30th
  4. Dietician Sept 21st

I have heard that they literally quiz you on what you know - and if you don't "pass" then you have to repeat the appointment.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

sneezy6145
on 7/18/16 1:38 am

I went through HRRH, but they do quiz you. They want to make sure you fully understand what will and what can happen to you. Study the papers they give you and you'll be fine. Know your stages of food after surgery and how long each one is. Study the procedure and the complications that can happen. Be prepared to tell them what kind of lifestyle changes you have made already. Like I said, read the paperwork over and over snd you'll be fine. 

TDotDana
on 7/18/16 2:48 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks for the info - is this at every appointment?

nitethyme
on 7/18/16 5:37 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Hi there ... I went through TWH ... but apparently I didn't know the 'do not pass' scenario   however having said that I did read the binder and did a lot of research on gastric bypass just because I wanted to know what was going to happen to my body and what exactly they would be doing.  You should understand the difference between RNY and getting a sleeve, understanding your need for vitamins and the different stages of eating after surgery, but reading the binder is KEY! Good luck on your journey ... it is so worth it!!!

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

TDotDana
on 7/18/16 7:11 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks for the info - I will make sure I know all that I can :)

Leslie W.
on 7/18/16 6:04 am - Cobourg, Canada

The sw is looking at support you have, can you afford opti and life long vitamins, does your family support you etc... NP is looking at physical- do you have sleep apnea, blood pressure, is diabetes controlled etc...she will refer you for any further testing if required. I brought in sleep study report and latest blood work didn't need anything else. Nutrition class went over diet changes, vitamins. They like participation so read your stuff before. You get to taste opti too. Dietician will ask you about diet, review your food log. Ask you aboout vitamins etc...

As far as not getting a pass- if you dont demonstrate that you have made lifestyle changes, dont know what surgery is, can't afford opti vitamins then you may have a second visit. Their goal is to make you succeed. Every learns at a different rate. Home support if different.

I've only met one person who was kicked out of program. She had a major attitude and argued with everyone.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
TDotDana
on 7/18/16 7:12 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

This is exactly what I was looking for in terms of info - thank you so much for this - it has answered a lot for me :)

skinny_gigi
on 7/18/16 2:33 pm

Hi there,

just wondering how long you waited from referral to orientation at TWH.  I was referred early July...also can you share what happens at the psychiatrist appointment?  I'm curious about what to expect.

good luck on your other appointments!

TDotDana
on 7/18/16 7:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

I spoke to my Family Dr in Nov/Dec 2015 - however he did not refer me until Feb 2016 - then my Orientation was in May 2016

The Psychiatrist appt was pretty easy - you have to complete that long packet of forms ahead of time - and then they basically just ask you a bunch of questions - similar to what you have already answered.

I think they are trying to discover if you have any underlying psychological problems that need to be addressed prior to entering this new phase of your life.  They want to make sure you have support, and are ready for the changes that need to be made, and the changes your body will go through -it was very relaxed - I felt good after the session - I had a student sitting in as well

Most Active
Recent Topics